Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:12 AM   #1

Default U/V filter on X10??

I have an X10 on order, also the lenshood/filter adaptor for it coming directly from Japan.
One of my main reasons for getting the lens hood/filter adaptor is to be able to put a U/V filter on it to protect the lens- or one of the straight optical glass lens protectors.
I'm of the old school 35mm days when adding a U/V filter was just what one did back then! To protect the lens.
I know that nowadays that's not necessarily the trend... and I also realize that the X10 adapter does not allow the filter to seal the lens- that there are openings around the edge, but my main concern is to prevent direct lens contact with objects and fingerprints. I don't believe the stock lens cover will fit, so I'll have to get a replacement lens cap to fit the filter- and it'll probably be more difficult to put on...
So what suggestions/thoughts do you folks have to offer me on the subject?? Thanks for your opinions.
Wes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wesjames
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:58 AM   #2

I have the same concern. I intend to buy the X10 lens hood, fit a 52mm UV filter and just leave the lens cap safe somewhere else.
celsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:12 PM   #3

No comments on this?
Well, today (I'm ashamed to admit) I discovered another reason for keeping a filter on a lens.
Bird poop.
I haven't used my Fuji S200 EXR since I went to the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine- to take bird pictures in the rookery. Over a year ago, I suppose...
Today I took it out of its bag to see what size filter was on it, thinking I could throw it on the new HS-20 until I got one. No matter, it was the wrong size...
BUT...
I discovered bird poop on the filter. Having sat on the filter for probably a year- and I was very, very happy I had the filter on the lens. I would have been upset if it had been sitting on the camera lens... for a year.
Shame on me for not looking closer at the lens when I got home!
Bad Wes... BAAAAD Wes!
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Yeah, I think the UV filter is absolutely recommended !!!
Mine has 3-4 scratches after 4-5 months of use and 15000+ shots The scratches are more like spots. But they are impossible to clean !
And I think soon to change it, and that would not be possible If the scratches was on camera lens.
And I am sure I haven't hit the UV filter.

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote