Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:06 PM   #1

Default 2 new Fuji's today- it's GOT to be a good day!

Nice way to start a short week- with 2 new cameras!!!
My X-10 arrived from B&H today at lunch, also an HS-20.
I fired up the HS-20 first, as it came with 4 AA's, while the X10's battery was charging.
I like the heft, the fit/finish and feel of the HS20- bright moveable display, feels like a Fuji (that's meant as a compliment!) Took a couple of pic's of a lighthouse across the runway, adequate sharpness of the individual bricks at full zoom!
O.K., X10's battery charged up, time to see what it looks like.
Uh, oh......
I had a scare with the X10, as it appeared to be DOA... blank screen, nothing when I put the freshly-charged battery in!
Messed with it a bit, then took the battery back out, wiped the contacts and put it back in, finally got a strange screen presentation- but no view out the lens.... (yes, I had taken the lens cap off!) a little button pushing on the display button taught me my first lesson about the camera- and the versatility of it! (BTW, for those wondering- since you turn the camera on/off with the lens zoom- it's stiff enough when you get to the "off" position- before you actually turn the camera off- you're not going to turn it off accidently.
Several choices how you want the display to appear, now the camera's working fine (short between the headphones!). A few shots in the equipment room here at work and I'm finding the camera's a delight indoors with the fast lens, the focus very quick to lock, everything seems fast... focus, exposure, etc. I quickly figured the menu structure, it's easy to understand and go through quickly to find what setting you're looking for (unlike my Olympus E-PL2). This camera is going to be a joy to use. One thing Fuji missed including is a hotshoe cover, like my Olympus has. Just looks unfinished with the shiny electrical contacts exposed, as opposed to the look of a nicely-fitting hotshoe cover.
My first impressions of a couple of hours with 2 new Fuji's!
(I'm very, very glad I returned the Canon SX-40 and opted for the HS-20!)
Wes

Last edited by Wes James; Nov 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM.
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:44 AM   #2

Wes

Can you confirm as to whether the X10 can take (is it?) 7 frames per second like a DLSR continoulsy, or is this feature avaialble in a last or first 7 shots burst mode like the HS20EXR and other EXR cameras?

So basically can it shoot multiple frames per second continuoulsy like a DSLR or is it more of a limited feature like older digi-cams?

Doesnt bother me either way, I prefer landscape and architecture? Just interests me.

Also, can someone put some shots up showing the subject isolation the fast lens can produce i.e Low Depth Of Field etc? Thanks
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:44 AM   #3

btw congrats on the new cameras - you must be having fun!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:36 AM   #4

I love my HS20 EXR, but really have no desire for the X-10. The one thing I wish Fuji would have done with the HS20 EXR is give it the shutter lock for longer duration time of shutter exposure for those great night star photo's we see where the stars are turning in the sky, and everything else is standing still.

Otherwise the HS20 EXR is a great camera.

Fujifilm HS20 EXR
406Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:50 AM   #5

Default Fujifilm X10 shooting speeds

PER THE OWNERS HANDBOOK- the camera is capable of up to 200 continuous frames, shot at the rates of 10, 7, 5 or 3 frames per second. The frame rate varies depending on the shooting conditions or number of frames in continuous shooting. There are other spec's that have to do with RAW + JPEG or various bracketing conditions.
Hope this helps answer your questions. I'll try to get some images posted from the camera in the next couple of days.
I'm not a great/natural photographer like some of the folks here, and it'll take me a while to get accustomed to this camera- but I'll try to put up some meaningful test shots here.
Wes
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:51 AM   #6

Default X-10 not for everyone?

406- I agree with you, a longer- or bulb setting would have been nice. There will always be "I wish they'd have..." in every camera we can afford! I believe it has to do with the processors used in these cameras if I'm not mistaken- they simply will overheat if in operation continuously for longer periods of time.
I do like the ease of access to all the important settings on the HS-10, and am willing to even give a bit of percieved or real image quality to have that ready access without having to dig through layers of menu's like I do on my Olympus E-PL2 who's organization to me makes little sense. Also, I had a Canon SX-40 that I tried, but just didn't bond with it like I have with Fujifilm cameras in general. (I also have an S200 EXR)
Certainly the X-10 will not be for everyone.... no camera is- no camera could be. We are all searching for "that perfect camera".
I have a Canon G-10 for several years that has been my knock-around all-purpose camera for taking pictures of the cats and grandkids. I also have a Lumix LX-5, which is a step up from the G-10. The X-10- a further step up- probably the ultimate general purpose compact camera. Yes, its too large to fit in my pocket, it's not a pocket camera.
It's a pleasure to use a higher quality product. I love the fit, finish and feel of a product like this- that's why brands like Leica and similar will always have a niche market, for those who hate plastic cameras. While my LX-5 is genetically linked to the Leica D-LUX 5, the Fuji X-10 is probably as close as I will ever come (or need to come) to owning a "genuine" Leica or Hasselblad or similar. It has the fit, finish and feel, without the cost. It oozes quality, and that is why Fuji is selling all they can crank out for $599.95, and they are selling for premium markups on eBay and some other sellers.
I agree with you!
Wes

Last edited by Wes James; Nov 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:42 PM   #7

Wes, thanks for that information, its what one can take to the bank so to speak. I am having a blast with the HS20 EXR and haven't even tapped all of its functions yet. Big city shots, are not available where I live, as I live in small town USA here in Kalispell, MT.

We do have some very old buildings that make awesome black n white photo subjects though.

Again thanks, and for now Fuji rules!

Fujifilm HS20 EXR
406Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
PER THE OWNERS HANDBOOK- the camera is capable of up to 200 continuous frames, shot at the rates of 10, 7, 5 or 3 frames per second. The frame rate varies depending on the shooting conditions or number of frames in continuous shooting. There are other spec's that have to do with RAW + JPEG or various bracketing conditions.
Hope this helps answer your questions. I'll try to get some images posted from the camera in the next couple of days.
I'm not a great/natural photographer like some of the folks here, and it'll take me a while to get accustomed to this camera- but I'll try to put up some meaningful test shots here.
Wes
Thanks Wes. Seems very interesting and much more like DSLR/Leica territory than previous Fuji incarnations
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:19 AM   #9

I might add... the class of SDHC card you put in your camera affects the speed at which it shoots/clears its buffers, especially in RAW. It is not the size of the card that matters, it is the class. A class 2 card will be quite slow, a class 6 faster, and a class 10 much faster. Of course, the higher class/faster cards are more expensive... I just picked up 2 16GB class 10 cards from Amazon on a 1 day sale for $15.95. I have one in the X-10, and that, I'm sure, contributes to its speed. (The other is in the HS-20)
A camera can't shoot faster than the card you put in it!
Wes
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:25 AM   #10

406Shutterbug- I know what you mean about citylife and photography... presents unique opportunities. Especially those in Europe. However those in the city would probably bemoan the lack of some of the ghost-town like areas around you to shoot! Me- I don't have either. Though we do have St. Augustine 45 miles to the south of us, hopefully I'll make it down there again sometime soon. It's quite a photogenic tourist town.
Wes