Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:13 PM   #1

Default X10 - Street pics

Hi all,

It arrived yesterday and I went into Chesterfield to try it out at high ISO's, there's a bit of PP in both these;

At ISO 1600;

And at ISO 3200;

I am really pleased with the results and am reminded of TriX film, 'the gritty performer'.

Jim
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:48 PM   #2

Jim, nice pictures, specially the second. To be a real Tri-X, one needs only the grains!
celsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:03 AM   #3

Default Centre crop

Hi Celsmk,

Thanks I like that one as well, it was one of those occasions where I was able to turn the EV dial very quickly to -2/3rds before taking the pic to allow for the light from the shop window.

This is a 100% crop from the pic showing the 'grain' structure that Fuji have built into the camera. I used an LX5 before this and the pics at ISO3200 were unusable.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:57 AM   #4

Jim, that's very nice.

I understand that you did not shoot in EXR mode. It is very good to know that X10 can shoot at ISO 3200 in full resolution without resorting to exotic EXR High ISO & Low Noise mode, which gives noise free pictures, but with somewhat synthetic appearance like the picture bellow:

Hi ISO (EXR) by Celso Kuwajima, on Flickr
celsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:02 AM   #5

These are very nice pictures, Jim!! Nice to see what the camera can do at high ISO's. I, too especially like the butcher shop picture.
Thanks for sharing some of your settings- this camera gives you such a wide choice of options!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:55 AM   #6

I went to your Flickr pages, Jim... you've got some great street photos there!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Dear Celso,

It's very interesting seeing the two pics side by side on your Flickr page, I really do like it, at first the EXR one does look better but as you say synthetic, the RAW one has got some atmosphere about it, its a place where people live and the 'grain' emphasises that, well thats my opinion :-)

Dear Wes,

I'm using these settings, much the same as my LX5, 28mm, F4.0, 400 ISO minimum, Aperture Priority, manual zone focussing. At F4.0 I can get a DOF from about 6ft to near infinity, all I have to concern myself with then is the changing light which the EV dial takes care of and the subject.

The reason I bought the camera was because of the high ISO performance and the EV dial, I like to get really close to my subjects and use the camera on my chest.

And thanks for the compliments Wes nice of you, I liked your pics too esp the Crane [at least I think it is]

Jim
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:35 PM   #8

Nice shot of Sao Paulo without being affected too much by the dreaded X10 white blobs.
It's interesting that had you chosen to shoot at ISO 100 virtually every strong light would have been reproduced as an even larger blank white disc.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:19 AM   #9

Dear Nippa,

If you follow Celso's link to the 1800 x 1350 original on Flickr you will see the 'white blobs'.

Does it matter? My personal opinion is no not to me and Fuji will probably do a 'fix for it, even if they don't the high ISO performance far outweighs the minor irritation.

Jim
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimread View Post
Dear Nippa,

If you follow Celso's link to the 1800 x 1350 original on Flickr you will see the 'white blobs'.

Does it matter? My personal opinion is no not to me and Fuji will probably do a 'fix for it, even if they don't the high ISO performance far outweighs the minor irritation.

Jim
I agree. Why get so pedantic over little idiosyncrasies. I today printed X10 samples out for my dad thru my cannon high res printer and the sharpness is like M2/3 or DLSR even at A4 size, which is as big as well ever go. In high ISO it beats my old S6500fd and my dads 9500 pantsdown, and the almost prime lens at only 4x is incredibly sharp at both ends. So we would both like to get one eventually. The blobs could even be considered an artistic trait of the camera loooooool. Im sure a Firmware upgrade will sort it.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote