Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:08 AM   #11

... and am I the only one here who appreciates the build quality of the Fuji X-series???
What kind of build quality/fit/finish/feel-in-your-hands do you get in these so-often-referred-to/compared-to entry level DSLR's??
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
... and am I the only one here who appreciates the build quality of the Fuji X-series???
What kind of build quality/fit/finish/feel-in-your-hands do you get in these so-often-referred-to/compared-to entry level DSLR's??
Wes
They sure aint gunna drop to bits any time soon haha!

The build quality and fit and finish is superb within the X series. I held an X10 the other day and it was a beautiful instrument. And I used the word instrument, because it felt like the old metal bodied SLRs and rangefinders that my dad used to collect and use from the 70s and 80s.

On a side-note, i wonder if moving production to Japan for the premium models will help the nations own economy as well as having a Japanese quality seal of approval? I really like to see it when production is sourced within a nations own country, how often does that happen? Scarcely....

I once had a Japanese Fender guitar, was better made than the American Californian ones costing twice or three times as much!!!!

BTW, I also wonder if Fuji have plans to launch an SLR range eventually? Doesn't bother me either way, but my dad said they used to make medium format pro systems? I think they know they have a certain corner of a market, and will keep on pursuing that it seems...... good on them as we Brits say, I think that their bridge cameras are lovely to use for consumers as cresho suggested that pefer a universal tool. Im quite excited about the XS-1 now. I just hope that it is NOT 700 Sterling. That is ridiculous. We Brits pay hand over fist for goods, especially premium ones. I dont what it is like in USA or elsewhere? 700 Sterling is probably 1400 dollars do you know?

To kind of answer to your question, the Pentax K-r seemed pretty solid to me, but would have to wait to compare it to XS-1 if it has a metal barrel. My old 6500 was built like a tank (or 'brick sh*t-house (outside toilet) as we brits joke! The quality control and build of Fuji seems reasonably high, so the X series must be even better.

Last edited by Lifeforms; Nov 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:57 PM   #13

With regards IQ- this camera may get close to DSLR IQ in MOST situations(very close if early shots with the X10 are any guide..!)- with the SLR only showing it's advantage at the extreme ends of challenging exposures and/or very high iso shooting- something the vast majority of entry level DSLR users don't find themselves doing anyway..!
The advantages of this Fuji over an entry level DSLR twin lens kit are obvious- and looking at the spec's makes this camera quite a compelling package.
Apart from not being able to attach an f/1.2 lens on it(rarely do these appear on "entry" level SLR's anyway...especially given the price..!) or the ability to step down to say f/22 or less(use an ND filter at f/11.. more that enough DOF with a smaller sensor) then it really isn't losing out on much over the DSLR.
Again,the pricing will be key- as convincing people to buy one at a price exceeding a twin lens DSLR kit will be tough- after all,everyone likes a "Fat" strap,don't they...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:52 PM   #14

1400 dollars is indeed a price to convince people of ...
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:53 AM   #15

As I noticed the High ISO performance is not the only thing that differs DSLRs from bridge cameras ! I think that to be X-S1 a DSLR rival, it should have much better AF than HS-20.

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:27 PM   #16

G'day all

Like LF above - I'll be watching it's selling price as well

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote