Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Default X-s1

'ere we go;

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-s1/en/
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:32 PM   #2

My next camera!!
Here's a hands-on video preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq2tUftH-pY
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:02 PM   #3

Finally,it looks as though someone has put everything into a "bridge" camera.
If priced correctly,could be a winner...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:14 PM   #4

I wonder if this will make a [big] hole in the DSLR market.

I found this the other day, X10 and GH2 same pic both ISO1600 and the original is downloadable all 14MB of it; http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6322335667/ this pushed me over the edge to buy the X10.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:04 PM   #5

A pretty fair fight put up there from the Fuji- just a touch more detail from the Panny- but not much in it..! That sensor/processor combo- with all the range and features of the XS-1 looks tasty...! It may well put a serious dent in entry level SLR's sales- again though- the price will seal or kill the deal....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:00 PM   #6

Great camera !
I suppose that the sensor size soon would be enough for good IQ. (close to DSLR's IQ)
But the other thing that is worse than DSLRs is the focus system.
On my HS-20 this is the main thing that irritates me is the slow focus . Even in perfect light conditions it could be very slow.

On XS1 I like the video improvement and the increased number of manual settings and the two programmable buttons

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Finally,it looks as though someone has put everything into a "bridge" camera.
If priced correctly,could be a winner...

I'm already starting to salivate... If the X-S1 is the DSLR-killer it promises to be, Fuji won't be able to make them fast enough.

Fujifilm Canada's press release states the MSRP will be $799 Cdn when the X-S1 is released in February. That seems pretty reasonable if it lives up to the hype. We'll see, but Fuji street prices seem to drop fairly quickly after a particular camera's been on the market for a while. However, if demand for the X-S1 stays high I wouldn't expect the price to drop significantly for some time.

http://www.fujifilm.ca/press/news/di...ews?newsID=122
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimread View Post
Nice composition and authentic atmosphere in each shot. Have you had the chance to isolate subjects by using the widest aperture and longest zoom yet?

Be nice to see such shots!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshi43 View Post
I'm already starting to salivate... If the X-S1 is the DSLR-killer it promises to be, Fuji won't be able to make them fast enough.

Fujifilm Canada's press release states the MSRP will be $799 Cdn when the X-S1 is released in February. That seems pretty reasonable if it lives up to the hype. We'll see, but Fuji street prices seem to drop fairly quickly after a particular camera's been on the market for a while. However, if demand for the X-S1 stays high I wouldn't expect the price to drop significantly for some time.

http://www.fujifilm.ca/press/news/di...ews?newsID=122
I personally really don't see how the X-S1 can be a 'digital SLR killer'. I probably will not even compete with even entry level SLRs for IQ.

However, as an all in one package, with super micro, super telephoto, panorama and relatively small (compared to massive SLR lens) then it could be a good bridge camera, pherhaps the potential to be Fujis best,

However, as for the proposed 700 street price in the UK (which is ridiculous) you could bag yourself a Pentax Kr with twin lens 18-50mm 50-200mm and have spare money to get a Tamron super long budget lens which would probably be just as good as the Fujinon.

I really, really want the X-S1 to be a jack of all trades with resolution similar to the good old S9600 , 6500 and s100fs, as I LOVED these older Fujis. If it can attain these levels once again, then I would be happy. But I can't get my hopes up, as the recent Fuji lines and my F300EXR are not consistent photographic tools in my opinion. I can only hope that the X-S1 is a good tool and produces the pin sharp results of old Fujis.

The stabilized lens (instead of Sensor stabilization) and larger sensor all bode well, fingers crossed it can compete as an all-in-one kit compared to Nikon D3100 and Pentax K-x or K-r etc.

I could trade off pixel peeping resolution just for good sharpness and IQ like the 9600 models. But a part of me would rather Fuji just did a 15 or 20 x zoom to maximise the potential of such a processor.

Fingers crossed. Its all speculation until we see RESULTS!!!!

The X10 is quite a lovely thing though it seems.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:24 PM   #10

This camera is the jack of all trades, it is 2/3 of a micro 4/3 dslr sensor. It means you will get noiseless as possible right under a DSLR model. It will not replace canon or nikon dslr's in any way but for the average consumer, it is enough juice to make you very happy. No matter what, dslr's are superior in every aspect. This camera gets you closer to it, thats all.

Last edited by Cresho; Nov 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote