Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:15 AM   #11

Default Sad to say, then- this might not be your camera...

This just might not be the camera to choose for your use then, sad to say... At least until they possibly resolve or improve the issue. I hope that they don't have to dumb the camera responsiveness (color-wise/dynamic range-wise) to fix it- assuming they can.
The latest skinny seems to be in the Fuji forum on DP Review- where it's getting discussed and updated to heck. Fuji's announcement of today is appearing there also, not that it says much.
This camera's kind of like this gorgeous, sexy woman- with a little pimple on her cheek.... man, there's soooooo much MORE there!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:46 PM   #12

What bothers me is that Fuji calls the problem "blooming" and that it's normal.
This is a CMOS sensor and one of the advantages should be its resistance to blooming.

I hope there's a fix but even that isn't promised in their carefully worded statement.
I smell a rat

Last edited by nippa; Dec 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippa View Post
What bothers me is that Fuji calls the problem "blooming" and that it's normal.
This is a CMOS sensor and one of the advantages should be its resistance to blooming.

I hope there's a fix but even that isn't promised in their carefully worded statement.
I smell a rat
to be honest, I smell one too. Im going to wait for a FW update, but feel that its a hardware issue. I really want to hope that its a genuine mistake, but, please tell me, what multi million dollar company makes mistakes like this, and expects a 'loyal consumer' to pay for the problem? Im not stirring up animosity, just sharing the facts as I see them.

I loved Fuji with my 6500. my dad loved the 9600. I wanted to love the X10, but it has some stunningly obvious drawbacks where light contrast might be high and the sensor over-reacts. My F300EXR, is, simply, CRAP, at a premium price. I don't know if I can be bothered to support a company like this anymore. Dont get me wrong, without lights the X10 seems an awesome piece of kit, but, what manufacturer makes their cameras so unusable in certain conditions. To be fair, I've lost all patience, they must have known about these issues in the sensors BETA phase. I will not be taken for a fool.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:24 PM   #14

the more ive looked at X10 sample shots, the more I think my reaction to the blown highlights is over the top. I've probably had this in other cameras and not cared so much lol.

Id far rather have the sensitive sensor for average conditions and deal with a bit of blown highlight etc etc actually. fingers crossed fuji can work some magic

I also wonder if on Dpreview forums the people have some kind of OCD and expect too much of amateur cameras, and even whether, Nikon and Leica might pherhaps hate the idea of Fuji producing such a good camera and there are 'trolls' on there blowing the problem out of proportion to give the camera a bad name?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post

I also wonder if on Dpreview forums the people have some kind of OCD and expect too much of amateur cameras, and even whether, Nikon and Leica might pherhaps hate the idea of Fuji producing such a good camera and there are 'trolls' on there blowing the problem out of proportion to give the camera a bad name?

The blobs at night are easier to accept but it's the reflected sunlight from shiny objects that causes the most distress.
The images come out with really sharp white circles that look quite unnatural and nothing like other cameras I've owned.
There is a genuine problem although the DPReview Forum is definitely OTT and frequented by some rather rude individuals.

For most purposes my X10 is as near perfect as it's ever likely to get in a compact ( at least it's just what I want ).
What worries me is that when I go away on a Cruise in the new year any shots of the Ocean will be spoilt by white blobs as light reflects from the surface.
So while I love the images I'm getting today I don't trust it whenever there is sunshine and shiny surfaces.
Having said all that , and to keep some perspective ,here's one I took an hour ago ( camera set at ISO 3200 auto so some software DR processing has kicked in to give ISO 400 , ISO 100 is the big problem )

Last edited by nippa; Dec 10, 2011 at 7:23 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippa View Post
The blobs at night are easier to accept but it's the reflected sunlight from shiny objects that causes the most distress.
The images come out with really sharp white circles that look quite unnatural and nothing like other cameras I've owned.
There is a genuine problem although the DPReview Forum is definitely OTT and frequented by some rather rude individuals.

For most purposes my X10 is as near perfect as it's ever likely to get in a compact ( at least it's just what I want ).
What worries me is that when I go away on a Cruise in the new year any shots of the Ocean will be spoilt by white blobs as light reflects from the surface.
So while I love the images I'm getting today I don't trust it whenever there is sunshine and shiny surfaces.
Having said all that , and to keep some perspective ,here's one I took an hour ago ( camera set at ISO 3200 auto so some software DR processing has kicked in to give ISO 400 , ISO 100 is the big problem )

Thanks for the picture Nippa. If the XS-1 has the same sensor, I wonder what the chances of sensor bloom resulting in blown out highlights will be. i wonder if it will be a little less - the less wide aperture of 2.8 will not be letting as many photons in.

What does 100 ISO look like at the same shot of the swan and pond? I could live with these blown highlights as I like the rhythmical look to them, almost artistic. Seeing 'blobs' on photographs of a car show might not be so hot though lol
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:32 AM   #17

the blooming is related to design and not sensor. xs1 is different even software rendering is different. From past fuji cameras, and history, the bigger brothers are always better.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:16 AM   #18

With my HS 20, if I am expecting to shoot into the sun or expecting huge reflections, I take off my polaroid sunglasses and shoot through them. I have had moderate success. If I don't do this, then I get red and orange blobs. Just one trick in my bag of tricks. I don't think I can buy polarizing filters for the HS 20 EXR, or can I?.........J4c
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:48 AM   #19

You can !
I have CPL and sometimes I use it. It's a good purchase if you shoot many landscapes .

Sorry for the SPAM at the theme ! I know it's not for HS-20

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:08 AM   #20

Oh well , for the record the new firmware has introduced a welcome feature in the form of a programmable RAW button but no Improvement in ANY Mode of the dreaded Orbs.

So basically we have a wonderful camera that isn't good at night or in bright light with shiny objects. It's going

Hopefully Fuji will dump the EXR sensor for good.

I bet that within a year you'll pick up a used X10 for less than $100

Last edited by nippa; Feb 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM.