Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 2, 2011, 4:41 AM   #1

Default X10 Specular Highlights / 'White Blob' issue

Does anybody know if Fuji plan to release a statement or firmware update for this issue? .....

I was thinking that I like to take arty shots of light comign through tree canopies, and this might be an issue......

I think Fuji should say something one way or another, I know the Japanese are very proud people so hopefully they are beavering away on a firmware update. Surely it cannot be a mechanical/engineering fault....

So, anybody have any further news on the issue??

It seems such a good camera.
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeforms View Post
Surely it cannot be a mechanical/engineering fault....
Why you think so ?

Be sure that if the problem is in the software, Fuji will release an firmware update when they solve the issue.

As they made with HS 20 video AF problem.
But don't expect a public confession, they even don't mention the HS 20 video issue in the firmware update, which was generally made for the video AF bug.
And after the update, suddenly you realize that the nasty issue is no longer available

My pictures

Last edited by bugsbunny; Dec 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:36 AM   #3

The truth is that nobody outside Japan can say for sure what's happening inside the X10 and maybe Fuji don't know either.
As lovely as the camera is, it simply won't do if it's your ONLY camera or if you take lots of shots against the light with specular highlights.

Current speculation is that it's a software problem that is correctable but equally it may be a lens or sensor problem that we're stuck with.
It's probably wise to wait and see what happens .

Last edited by nippa; Dec 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippa View Post
The truth is that nobody outside Japan can say for sure what's happening inside the X10 and maybe Fuji don't know either.
As lovely as the camera is, it simply won't do if it's your ONLY camera or if you take lots of shots against the light with specular highlights.

Current speculation is that it's a software problem that is correctable but equally it may be a lens or sensor problem that we're stuck with.
It's probably wise to wait and see what happens .
Yes, im going to have to wait, sadly.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:33 PM   #5

Default More to take pictures of than shiny objects...

There's lots more to take pictures of than just shiny metal objects...
Attached Images

Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:25 AM   #6

BTW, there is a huge amount of activity on DP Review Fujifilm forum on this topic. Supposedly, Fujifilm is supposed to come out with a statement on the issue tomorrow. It is apparently not affecting all cameras, there's some suspicion it may be serial number related.
I tried mine out today to see if it has this white blob issue on bright sunny reflected highlights- yes, I was able to detect the problem on mine, but it was not as bad as some I've seen. It's a problem I can live with if no solution is ever found, as long as I'm aware of it and try to avoid conditions that induce the issue- i.e., bright light reflections. Every camera has its quirks, and I don't think one will ever find a camera that you can say "This is perfect". The search is part of the fun!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:51 AM   #7

I am betting it is a mechanical issue. The place of the "aperture iris" (f stop), between the lens elements, and improper or insufficient lens coating. Causing a condition similar to the little round sunspots, you see in some pictures when a bad position is chosen. Allowing the sunlight to reflect between lens elements, and through the aperture iris. On to the film, ccd, cmos, or whatever.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:34 PM   #8

Default Fuji responds to white discs/orbs

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12...mplansfirmware
op204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
I am betting it is a mechanical issue. The place of the "aperture iris" (f stop), between the lens elements, and improper or insufficient lens coating. Causing a condition similar to the little round sunspots, you see in some pictures when a bad position is chosen. Allowing the sunlight to reflect between lens elements, and through the aperture iris. On to the film, ccd, cmos, or whatever.
Could Fuji make small alterations to the X10 design if it indeed was an engineering fault Steve in later production models?

Fuji call it 'sensor bloom' apparently?

I hope they manage a fix. Such a crying shame.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
There's lots more to take pictures of than just shiny metal objects...
I take pictures of light penetrating woodland tree canopies, I fear that the white orb UFO's would attack here too