Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Default HS20 at the Vincent van Gogh museum

Visited the Vincent van Gogh museum at Otterlo, the Netherlands.
Photo's indoors were taken in the pro low light mode.
I am happy with the result.

guus

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU GUUS I wondered where the heck you had gone and was going to post to see where you were, and then, wow, you POP up! Have a Great 2012 Guss!
Lifeforms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Visited the Vincent van Gogh museum at Otterlo, the Netherlands.
Photo's indoors were taken in the pro low light mode.
I am happy with the result.

guus

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
I LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE the Seurats and the Mondrians! Especially 'The Pier and Ocean' or 'Universal Egg' by Mondrian! Gotta love the Dutch! I just finished my BA(Hons) dissertation on Mondrian and that painting was in it also! phew - hardwork tho!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:01 PM   #4

Hello Lifeforms,

Nice to hear from you too. The visit at the Kröller-Müller museum was nice. Got a little dizzy at the end caused by the overwhelming beauty I saw there.
I wish you all the best for the year 2012.
Interested in the Fujifiln X-S1 too?

guus
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Hello Lifeforms,

Nice to hear from you too. The visit at the Kröller-Müller museum was nice. Got a little dizzy at the end caused by the overwhelming beauty I saw there.
I wish you all the best for the year 2012.
Interested in the Fujifiln X-S1 too?

guus
I was just about to ask you the same too Guss. yes, I am interested in the XS-1 as well as the X10.

The only problem that puts me off a little is the white disc phenomena that the sensors in both cameras is known for. Night shootting doesn't bother me, I would expect those types of discs and wouldnt mind this characteristic so much in such situations, but I like taking pictures of cars on sunny days, so I can imagine the glint off chrome being a problem from a couple of examples I have seen.

Other than that both cameras seem top-notch. The X10 is amazing to hold and feels great to work with when I held it in my local dealer.

It is just the white disc issue. I think on the XS-1 this will be less of an issue due to the slightly smaller aperture allowing less photons onto the senor and allowing for less bloom.

What are your opinions Guus?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:42 AM   #6

Hello Lifeforms,

Yes the X10 gives very nice results too. One uses them in several situations to replace the inconvenient DSLR.
About the white disc problem:
The problem excists, but Fuji bashers (read DSLR promotors) excist too.
Be aware of the fact that the X10 and the X-S1 are an attack on the supremacy of DSLR camera's.
The problem of the white discs is a gift from heaven for them. They say, look, look look what a shame.
Moderators on that horrible DPR site encourage this attitude. They act against there own rules that say: no bashing. You can read all about it on that poisoned DPR site. Serious and long time users of that site have left due to the attitude of the moderators. That site has lost all it's credibility. Cannot take it serious as an objective, informative photografic site. Those days are over.
The white discs appear if one uses the most unfavourable settings, that is not using the high dynamic range setting. Use the high dynamic range setting and the problem seems to be gone. Furthermore Fuji is aware of the problem and will deal with it. Cannot imagine they ruin this prestige project (launcing X10 and X-S1 and compete with DSLR) by a wrong software setting.
But you know the opponents: the better the Fuji camera's get the louder and more hysterical they gonna scream.

guus
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:44 PM   #7

Hi Guus

I think the X10, with a lens that is more akin to a prime lens, does allow for more sharpness in the photograph examples that I have seen in comparison to XS-1. I don't think this can be disputed, even in this early stage. The shorter the focal length, the less the light is getting distorted going through glass. So for me, wanting a camera mainly for landscape and wide angle shots, the 4x zoom has become very appealing. However, for someone who wants a very versatile camera that is universal the XS-1 would be everything they want it to be, and it also appeals to me too but the results seem a tiny bit softer, but probably some of the best bridge camera results I have seen I have no doubt. Both cameras appear good.

I would agree that some of the behaviour on DPreview is awful. Grown men bickering like spoilt brats and children, and at times it is hard to discern what is fact and what is fiction. I would also agree that for some of those argumentative and frankly strange people on Dpreview that use Cannons and Nikons, seeing a company 'punch above their weight' so to speak is threatening to them - and their childishness is obviously noted, so what they say cannot be trusted.

Having said all this, if the white disc problem did not exist, then no-one would be able to complain in the first place, and yet it does, most sadly. It does exist, and Fuji have been prepared to send a camera to production which would sadden long term fans like me and you Guus, which I find disapointing and a little arrogant from Fuji - that is if I assume that they have experts and product testers and engineers working for them. I would really hope that Fuji DO release a firmware 'fix', if the problem is not utterly hardware based and so 'unfixable'.

For my photography needs I am still without what i would call a decent camera. My F300EXR is so unpredictable I find that I have little confidence in it. I have looked into Olympus EPL-1 which whilst affordable with 14-50mm(or thereabouts) lens, has no viewfinder. The viewfinder costs as much as the camera itself, making it worthless in bright light. The only other contenders for me now concerning price and features are the Cannon G12 and Nikon P7100, although from what I have seen, neither produce results as good as the X10, as they seem very soft, and the sensor is much smaller than X10 and XS-1. The Samsung XZ-1 produces good results, but has no viewfinder and seems too small physically.

So, I really hope Fuji do fix this white orb issue. My father had a look at some full size samples we printed, he has been a photographer for 30 years and said that the effect is unnatural and potentially could ruin a shot. I agree that DR and ISO can be adjusted to lessen the effect, but it really shouldn't be there in the first place.

Fingers crossed that Fuji fix it. Happy New Year to you Guus - heres to a happy 2012 and many more photos from you and your HS20EXR!

I am actually thinking of buying a secondhand S9600 from ebay.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:12 PM   #8

I really do hope that Fuji at least ease the orb problem a little. For me and my amateur needs, this camera seems to pretty much tick all the boxes. Other than that, it may have to be a G12 or Nikon 7100.