Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:13 AM   #1

Default PZ42 Pin alignment?

Is there another company that has the same pin alignment for the PZ42 to work automatic with the HS20 EXR??

I see some places that claim the Nikon has same pins.....this true??
Graphyfotoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:03 AM   #2
Administrator

Nikon dedicated flashes won't work correctly on the HS20 unless you use a higher end model with a non TTL Auto mode (where you'd need to use manual exposure and set the camera and flash to match for Aperture and ISO speed to get correct exposure).

IOW, you'd have to use one as a non dedicated flash (so it wouldn't make any sense to go to expense of buying a dedicated flash for another brand to use it as a non dedicated flash).

I think those kinds of rumors get started and are accepted as fact because Fujifilm dSLR models were based on Nikon bodies and could use some of the Nikon dedicated flash models; and some of the third party dedicated flash models are listed for use with Nikon/Fuji cameras (when they mean the Fuji dSLR models based on Nikon bodies, not the newer Fuji models like the HS20 and X100)

The hotshoe pin layout on the new Fuji HS20 and X100 models is different than the hotshoe in Nikon and Fuji dSLR models. If you look at photos of the hotshoes, you can see that the Fuji HS20 and X100 models have 3 contacts located in back of the larger center (trigger) contact, whereas Nikon models have 2 contacts behind the center pin and 1 contact in front of it.

But, even if they were they same (or the flashes would would still fire despite the differences), you can have differences in the proprietary signaling protocols used by different camera manufacturers. You even see that kind of thing within the same camera manufacturers flashes, because of protocol changes made with newer models that are missing in older dedicated flash models (where you may end up with a flash always firing at full power, or not at all).

The only dedicated TTL flashes for the HS20 right now are the Fujifilm EF-20 and EF-42 (probably made by Sunpak from what I've seen others post about them).

So, for now, you'd need to stick with one of the Fuji models if you want a compatible TTL auto flash. Or, go with a non dedicated flash model instead.

Hopefully, as time passes, some of the third party manufacturers will develop dedicated flash models for them. But, AFAIK, no manufacturer has released one that works correctly with the HS20 or X100 yet.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:13 AM   #3

Yeah for a manual external I've been using my old Vivitar Auto Thyristor 5600.
Seems to work so far. I have seen some of the PZ42's for cheap is the reason I asked.
Paying about what I paid for the Camera for a flash seems a lil crazy to me.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:47 AM   #4
Administrator

You do have to be careful about trigger voltages with many modern digital cameras. See this Sticky Thread:

Trigger Voltage Limits with Modern Digital Cameras

I don't see your Vivitar 5600's trigger voltage listed anywhere. But, some of the older Vivitars may have trigger voltages of almost 300 volts, designed for cameras that used mechanical contacts to trigger a flash. For example, I have an old Vivitar 273 that I would not attempt to use with most modern cameras since it may fry the electronics in one.

IOW, many newer cameras can be damaged by trigger voltages that high, since their electronics are designed to close a circuit with a trigger voltage of around 5 volts instead.

So, you may want to look into it and/or measure the trigger voltage of your Vivitar 5600 to make sure it's safe to use, as I did find one user that posted that Fuji told them the HS20 was rated for a maximum trigger voltage of 50 volts. But, I wouldn't trust that unless I got an official response about it, and some of the older Vivitar models can have much higher trigger voltages (well over 200 volts).
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:02 AM   #5

Your probably right....part of the reason I'm looking for a good deal on a modern flash. Kinda figured a non-name brand flash would be a tad cheaper.
Hence the inquire on the Sunpak PZ42 vs Fuji EF42.
But the sneaky -----'s don't have a Sunpak PZ designated for Fuji.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:08 AM   #6
Administrator

I'd measure it.

With the flash on with it's capacitor charged so it's ready to fire, use a high impedance digital voltmeter and measure between the center pin and outside shield (metal part of the foot on the outside of where the pins are located). See this page for instructions:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

There are many non dedicated flash models with relatively low trigger voltages (and that Vivitar might fall into that category), and you can find bargains if you're a good shopper.

For example, I've got some older Sunpaks (222 Auto and 333 Auto) I use as non dedicated flashes that I got used at very low prices ($7 for the 222 Auto from keh.com, and $25 for the 333 Auto from the used department at bhphotovideo.com), because the trigger voltage on some Vivitar 273 flashes I had was too high for use with modern cameras.

The Sunpak 383 Super is a very popular non dedicated flash, too (but, they tend to sell for more).

Ditto for some of the other Vivitar models. But, some of them like the older Vivitar 273 and 283 models do have very high trigger voltages. So, I'd measure the trigger voltage of your Vivitar 5600 is to see it's safe to use (or not).
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7

I used the 5600 on my Canon SX20 for awhile till I traded off that camera for this HS20.
Hey I paid a whooping $8 for the 5600 at a garage sale early last spring.

I knew I had some reference to this from my Canon Forums way back.

One of the Guys there posted:

"Actually, the trigger voltage for the Vivitar 5600 is safe for Canon digital cameras!
I tested the pins with multiple foot modules and they all come in under 6 Volts!
I was really surprised, pleasantly so, because it meant I could use the flash on camera on my Rebel XT."

I'm supposing this will hold true for the HS20 EXR and not harm it.

Last edited by Graphyfotoz; Jan 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 2:51 PM   #8

G'day GF

Interesting discussion here - thx to both ^
@GF - if you decide you need a new flashgun and don't want to spend $$$$$$ upon it, do a google for "Yongnuo YN460" flashguns

They're remarkable flashguns at a reasonable price
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day GF

Interesting discussion here - thx to both ^
@GF - if you decide you need a new flashgun and don't want to spend $$$$$$ upon it, do a google for "Yongnuo YN460" flashguns

They're remarkable flashguns at a reasonable price
Regards, Phil
But not one with Fuji contacts??
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:16 AM   #10

Default EF 42 Alt

Read this topic:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...0exr-x-s1.html