Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:51 PM   #1

Default HS20 with EF-42 sync speed?

I have the HS20 with the EF-42 flash and was wondering if anybody knows what the sync speed is. (fastest shutter speed I can use) I can't seem to find it anywhere. I just learned about sync speed today. The picture of the humming bird I took in the summer (The one in my avatar) was taken at 1/2000s in manual. Or so I thought. I had the flash up thinking it would give me more light but now I find out if the flash is up it automaticaly drops the shutter speed to match the highest sync speed. I guess I still have a lot to learn.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavToNo View Post
I have the HS20 with the EF-42 flash and was wondering if anybody knows what the sync speed is. (fastest shutter speed I can use) I can't seem to find it anywhere. I just learned about sync speed today. The picture of the humming bird I took in the summer (The one in my avatar) was taken at 1/2000s in manual. Or so I thought. I had the flash up thinking it would give me more light but now I find out if the flash is up it automaticaly drops the shutter speed to match the highest sync speed. I guess I still have a lot to learn.
You're not alone in attempting to determine the sync speed. I've taken it up to 1/4000 (max) with no discernible ill effects. I just wonder if it's in a sort of "FP sync" mode automatically all the time. Hmmmmmmmmm
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Administrator

Non dSLR models like the HS20 don't use a Focal Plane Shutter. So, you don't have the same flash sync issues you'd have with a dSLR model. So, FP mode would not apply.

Most models like the HS20 use a shutter mechanism built into the lens (often using the aperture blades as a shutter mechanism) and combine that with an electronic shutter built into the sensor instead (the most common way they do it), so that use of a mechanical shutter mechanism is not really needed to take the photo, and you don't need to worry about shutter curtain travel limiting flash sync speed.

So, you don't have the same issues with shutter curtain travel that you have with a dSLR (or film SLR) model, and most point and shoot camera can use any shutter speed with a flash, without the flash needing to pulse the light using FP modes like it would need to do with a dSLR model because the sensor in the dSLR is never fully exposed with faster shutter speeds. Cameras sometimes set shutter speeds slower just so some ambient light contributes to the exposure (often using around 1/60 second). But, you can usually use much faster shutter speeds if desired with no ill effects with a non dSLR camera model (other than darker backgrounds because not much ambient light contributes).

Now, in some cases, the length of the flash burst may be longer than the shutter speed you're using, so you may not be getting the exposure possible with a slightly slower shutter speed.

For example, with a full power flash at maximum subject range, you may find the length of the flash burst to be as long as 1/800 second with some flashes. So, using faster shutter speeds with the longest flash burst a camera is capable of may result in underexposed images.

But, with closer subjects, it may be much faster (the flash burst may only be around 1/10000 second long with a very close subject, so you could get the full amount of flash exposure using any shutter speed available on a camera).

With a non DSLR camera like the HS20, it all depends on the flash design, as some flashes may have a slowest flash burst length of 1/2000 second, using a fastest flash burst length of around 1/10000 second. But, some flashes may need a longer flash burst at full power (and around 1/800 second is usually the longest you find), so using faster shutter speeds than that when a full power flash is needed may result in underexposure with some setups.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:23 PM   #4

So now we have the obvious question: What is the duration of the flash burst on the EF-42? How can we find out? Is it in the spec sheet. I doubt it, I've never noticed it.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:54 PM   #5

I found it in the manual and it says "The flash may not fully light the subject at speeds faster than 1/1000s" . This is for external flashes so I guess 1/1000s is about the top speed I'm going to get.

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

http://timpharoahphotography.ca/
HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote