Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:16 PM   #1

Default Settings for sports action indoors & outdoors?

I have a HS20EXR and would like to know some great settings for:

(1) sports action in a normally lit gymnasium,

(2) sports action outdoors in the sun.

Preferably, wil as little motion (blur) as possible.

Any help is appreciated.
artnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:19 PM   #2

Sorts in gym or football stadium will require the use of a hot show flash. I honst found the use of a hot shoe flash and sports mode to be the best combination.

As for outdoors sports mode and the use of a lens hood.

I play around with settings and yes I did find the sports mode to be the best, but only when I used a hot shoe flash

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Jan 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:51 AM   #3

For outdoor sports I prefer the S mode, because you can define the speed just how fast you want it, and lets say ISO AUTO 400.
So the exact speed is a question of tests, for fast actions you can try around 1/500 and faster (especially when you use the zoom over 200-300 mm). I mean soccer, football...
For some sports you might be pleased of the results of slower shutter speeds (1/100 - 1/200).
Everything depends on the sport, how fast are movements, and what are the conditions outdoor.
For indoor sports I am agree with Photo 5, the flash is definitely compulsory for good results !

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4

If Used the S mode on the HS20 for indoor sports and set it to where it needed to be in the 1/400th, 1/500th of second range the photos were so dark they were unusable which is why I used the method I suggested.....
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5

The different modes are just a different type of use of 1 sensor !
So the results could be identical if the camera is correctly set.
Probably you talk for results with the hot shoe flash, I don't have such flash. So I don't have experience.
I'm talking for shooting without external flash.
But I use the S mode very well for outdoor sports. For indoor, if the light is not enough for your settings, the camera shows you this fact. If you don't change settings, It is normal to make dark pictures ! I don't like scene modes, so I don't use them ! They are nothing else than settings programmed in advance ! And they are not always correct and satisfying

My pictures

Last edited by bugsbunny; Jan 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Sorts in gym or football stadium will require the use of a hot show flash. I honst found the use of a hot shoe flash and sports mode to be the best combination.

As for outdoors sports mode and the use of a lens hood.

I play around with settings and yes I did find the sports mode to be the best, but only when I used a hot shoe flash

dave
Even the external flash mounted on the hot shoe is good for only 30 to 40 feet out, depending on lighting conditions. Beyond that it will have negligible effect. So, in a football stadium situation, don't rely on the flash to do anything for you. Setting the top wheel to SP1 or SP2 and selecting the "Sport" scene poisiton as you indicated is best. You might also try "Best frame capture" but you need good light for that. Flash won't be effective for "best frame capture", even if within 10 feet, unless I am unaware of the correct setting. Set the ISO fairly high, e.g. 1600. Theoretically, you should be able to get several flashes in quick succession at close distances because each flash uses only a fraction of the capacity of the flash capacitor. Does anyone know how to make "best frame capture" work with flash? I tried with both EXR and in Manual modes.

Last edited by gfmucci; Jan 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:19 AM   #7

a camera does not take a picture ...... a photographer does

any given thing you want to 'shoot' will have a certain fixed amount of light at any particular moment .... film or sensor will require a certain 'quantity' for proper exposure at any given ISO

'quantity' entering camera is varied by shutter speed (time of exposure) and diameter of iris (size of 'pinhole') .... both these items are limited by capabilities of equipment

sports will have motion therefore requiring a short exposure to minimize 'motion blur' (this has NOTHING to do with image stabilization) ..... a short enough exposure to minimize blur may require a larger iris opening (smaller f stop) than your camera is capable of supplying

you may try raising the ISO, but this may lead to noise and/or degregation in image quality

why do you think the 'pros' use those gigantic very expensive lenses?
for their health? ..... no. a small iris requires a large diameter ... large diameter needs more glass ... more glass = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

just set your camera to 'sports mode' (which favors a short exposure) and hope for the best ..... a flash will never hurt, unless its use sets the shutter to 1/60 and you get 'motion trails' (also called 'dragging the shutter')
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote