Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Fuji F600/700 EXR Series

I have my eye on the new Fuji F750 EXR, which has just been announced but is not yet available. I'm looking for input from those who own any of the recent cameras in this series... the F5XX F6XX lines.

So my questions are... does the EXR system live up to the hype when it comes to high ISO and low-light performance? Is it all that much work to get the best out of the cameras? Or can you do just as well with something like Panasonic's Intelligent Auto and Intelligent Exposure? And is lens de-centering a real issue with the Fujis? I've seen this come up on more than one Internet site. I read somewhere that Fuji has improved QC with the new cameras.... but I have no idea how anyone can know yet.

I have the Canon SX230 HS, which tends to finish at the top of the heap in terms of image quality in comparison tests of compact superzooms. But I find the Canon's response to be a bit sluggish.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:42 AM   #2

You're right in that the SX230 seems to be up there as one of the better compact superzooms- however- irrespective of fancy gimmicks/modes- no compact superzoom is ideally suited to low light work- unless you're shooting static subjects where a longer exposure is possible.
If low light work is a major factor- you might want to look at a faster lens compact- such as the Panny LX-5,Canon S95/100,Samsung EX-1,Olympus XZ-1...etc...
One point of note is the fast aperture of the Olympus alternative- still only f/2.2 at 100mm setting..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks Simon. Yes, as you can see in my signature, I have a number of different cameras for different jobs. I still have the LX3, which may very well be replaced by a Fuji X10 or Oly XZ-1 before long. But I usually keep a compact superzoom in my kit because there are just some places where a compact is all you can get in - and a long zoom range becomes necessary. Concerts and clubs often fall into this category.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:56 PM   #4

A compact,with a decent zoom,indoors is a tricky one- but maybe the Panny TZ's might be a tad swifter than the "sluggish" 230HS.
Their noise control at higher iso's however will not match that of the canon- but maybe a CMOS equipped "TZ" will be on the horizon...? Watch this space....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote