Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:59 PM   #1

Default Proud new owner!

Hi, this is my first post in this part of the forum. After receiving much food for thought in the "what camera" section, I decided to buy a HS 20EXR. It arrived today. A little different to the A500 I've been using. Lots to learn now.
A couple of first photos, apart from being resized and saved for web, they are untouched. the first is almond blossom, the second a panoramic view from our front door. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Mito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:22 PM   #2

G'day Mito

Congrats on your choice of new camera ... I hope it serves you well for many years

As to your sample images - cc if I may ...
#1 > yes, it's a nice closeup taken in soft light [no shadows], the sharpness might be a bit better via a tripod though. Also the bright background catches my eye > maybe next time stand a bit higher so that the camera points down slightly and does not catch the highlights of the sky

#2 > Panos are great fun -I like 'em too- > tho maybe for next time, see if the 4wd with its blue box can be removed, and maybe alter your camera position not to show the white lantern at the RHS

Otherwise - great shots and keep showing us "your backyard"
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:48 AM   #3

Buenas dias!, thanks for your comments. It was literally take the camera out of the box, insert batteries and aim. The branch wouldn't keep still and I'll try and grow a little more but my bum suffers from vertigo. The panorama was more "wow look at that" to my wife. Yes I shall have to start negociations with the management as regards to a tripod. Seriously, yes there is much to learn and if I get comments such as yours in the future my learning curve will be pleasurable.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:01 PM   #4

Aaahhhh Mito ~ your enthusiasm is wonderful

I like to wander around a tree/bush to shoot the flowers too ... suggestion > look for flowers at/below camera level to avoid the bright sky in the background - also maybe, with a shadow from another bush behind them so that the flower "shows" more brightly.

If I may post a pic to show what I mean...

Hybiscus blooming by ozzie_traveller, on Flickr

I also like to use "long-zoom" to throw the background out of focus .... I might use 10x zoom to do this

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:53 PM   #5

More food for thought. I'm going to put on weight! There are not many flowers around at the moment so I'll look for other things. Watch this space!!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:26 PM   #6

im beginer and i like to learn more for this camera..
i will buy for 1-2 weeks..
MindHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:36 AM   #7

I like this camera. It is much more than point and shoot. Use the manual setting and you will get good pictures. I will post some photos I took today later, showing differences in settings and quality, that I took this afternoon during my learning curve!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:04 PM   #8

Mindhunter, here are some samples taken this afternoon. I don't know your level, mine is pretty basic but these show over and under exposure with one that is as close to reality as I could take.
The first is under exposed, the second over, third natural, the last RAW converted. All of them are as taken.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:32 PM   #9

For me, three of them are overexposed and one is OK.
First of all, you have made an mistake with over and underexposed pictures.
Overexposed is when it is too bright! So underexposed is when it is too dark.
And I don't see such (underexposed) picture here.

But other thing incommodes me...
Why pictures are so soft ? Could you give an EXIF info ?

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:28 PM   #10

G'day Mito, Mindhunter et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito View Post
....I don't know your level, mine is pretty basic ... The first is under exposed, the second over, third natural, the last RAW converted. All of them are as taken. Hope this helps.
@Mito > may I offer several suggestions ~
#1 is that "if your level of camera / exposure knowledge is pretty basic, please shoot your pictures in Program mode" - until you become more experienced with Aperture mode or Shutter mode
#2 is to set the camera's AEB to +1EV and -1EV for its exposure bracketing, and
#3 is to forget all about RAW imagery until you have got a working grasp of your camera's operations

More info-> When you operate any camera on "full-automatic" the camera just does what it wants to and you never see the exposure information. When you set the camera ro Program mode, the camera shows you the shutter speed and aperture numbers before you take the photo - thus you get to know what sort of exposure 'numbers' are used most of the time

Additionally, in Program mode you can do lots of other things within the camera's menus - things that are locked off while in automatic mode

ps- as to the 4 images you have shown us [above] if you compare the image-brightness and sharpness with the image that I posted for you to compare, you will see that ALL your images are over-bright / over exposed. It suggests that something is not completely correct in your current settings

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil