Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Maybe you've watched some science fiction soon.
But the physics on the EARTH won't permit your wishes to be accomplished !
There is no way to produce clean high ISO image from small sensor and to have high resolution ! The light is insufficient to be possible your task !
If Fuji is capable to mess up IQ on the high priced X series it it an easy job to realize high iso on a small sized sensor.

guus
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:27 PM   #12

I'll give credit to Fuji for at least trying to create an affordable "all in one" for some years now- possibly enabling budding photographers to learn the ropes- shooting pretty much what they want- and maybe a valuable learning tool prior to their first DSLR.
I'll also give Fuji credit for trying to be a little different- coming out with the S100fs,when at the time many seemed to think the "bridge" was a dying breed...!
Yes the HS10/20 (and no doubt 30) will have its quirks- but given their price- especially a couple of months after release- I guess it's hard to grumble.
From what I've seen,the X100 is capable of producing fantastic images- in the right hands- and the X10 is pretty useful also- and despite its orb issue,I'm still considering one- as an ideal lightweight "street" camera,with that gorgeous little lens.....
If only the X10 had a little evf instead of the peep-hole...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:33 AM   #13

The more photo's of the X- serie appear on the internet the more they confirm that the X-serie is a total disaster. I wish this isn't true but it is. Fuji's reputation down the drain and I was one of the "fanboys" who defended the S100fs, the S200exr, the HS10 and the HS20 against the mob.
Thank you Fuji.

guus
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:45 AM   #14

when i saw the viewfinder on the x100, i wanted one. then, of course, cooler heads prevailed. the switch from optical to evf is awkward. should be automatic if that's even possible. focus by wire? nope. no fast zooms. as a second camera, i think the x100 is fine. but it costs too much for me. as a status piece, it's great.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:01 AM   #15
Super Moderator

It cost me less than a 35L lens for my Canon 5DMKii. Or less than a 24L lens for a crop body. And the whole camera weighs less than one of those lenses too. It's not cheap exactly but it's cheaper than a Canon 60D body and includes a Fujinon f2 lens in the bargain.

It's certainly a niche camera, not suitable for most people.

But ... I have taken twice as many photos since I got the X100 compared to the previous 5 years on my FF Canons. This is mostly because I carry it everywhere with me.

As a "status piece" it works well too. Everyone who sees it thinks its awesome. No-one ever asks me about my Canon, but all sorts of people comment and want to know about the X100 when they see it. Of course they don't usually notice it when I'm shooting because it's totally silent, not like my Canon - which sounds like a canon by comparison.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
It cost me less than a 35L lens for my Canon 5DMKii. Or less than a 24L lens for a crop body. And the whole camera weighs less than one of those lenses too...
when i need to replace my second camera (samsung mirrorless), I'm going to try to think about it in those terms.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Super Moderator

35L - 1158
Nikon 24G - 1599
24L - 1323
X100 - 765

Check out the blur charts, and set the Nikon and Canon lenses to the same aperture as the Fuji. Try them at f2 ... f16.
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...l2/tloader.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...14/tloader.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...00/tloader.htm

Bargain!!

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
35L - 1158
Nikon 24G - 1599
24L - 1323
X100 - 765

Check out the blur charts, and set the Nikon and Canon lenses to the same aperture as the Fuji. Try them at f2 ... f16.
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...l2/tloader.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...14/tloader.htm
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zprod...00/tloader.htm

Bargain!!

Interesting! Your x100 blog is excellent!!!
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:54 AM   #19

Default status piece

Here in the Netherlands we walk the streets with and a gold bar around our necks as a status piece. We do not uses photocamera's for this purpose.
What I am trying to say is that a photocamera should be used for taking photo's and nothing else.

guus
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Here in the Netherlands we walk the streets with and a gold bar around our necks as a status piece. We do not uses photocamera's for this purpose.
What I am trying to say is that a photocamera should be used for taking photo's and nothing else.

guus
here in north america, gold bars are harder to find. so we use what we can. in other forums (not on steve's), you'll see plenty of discussion of how a camera looks. and while "status piece" was just my first choice of words, many things are used that way. not just cameras. if you can't afford the red dot cameras, the fuji's are quite an attention getter. not solely for their appearance, some of it for their unique viewfinder design.