Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:44 AM   #1

Default What is Fuji doing?

In the past Fuji was a leading company in developing new technology resulting in better bridgecamera's.
Now we have the failure of the X serie camera's and the launch of the stupid Pro camera.
I hope the HS30 is up to their former standards or else I have to look elsewhere.

guus
guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2

the hs30exr is an improved version. Hardware its almost the same, the image quality will have a better look to it due to better post processing features as well as new modes. HS series is looking better everyday.

The x series is great but still has the orb issues which bothers me.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:11 PM   #3

Hello Cresho,

Yes, I hope the HS30 will have the same or better IQ than the HS20. Fuji claims the low light IQ is a little better. The HS30 has a better EVF. The HS30 has the miracle digital zoom the S100fs has. I hope the JPEG software has not changed, is very good on the HS20. On the HS10 the JPEG was soo bad that it forced you to shoot in RAW, in combination with SilkyPix.This is not necessairy for the HS20.
I am very disappointed in the X serie. The X100 with the horrible blown highlights, the X10 with the strange contrast settings (looks like the HS10 JPEG) and the X-S1 as a failed clone of the S100fs.
Let's wait and see.

guus
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:18 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Fuji is innovating and trying to segment the market to take share away from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

The X100 has my vote for the "best digital camera ever made". And not just mine either, Zack Arias agrees. Is it perfect? No, of course not. But the "horrible blown highlights" issue - well, firstly I try not to blow the highlights, secondly the extended DR setting helps prevent that and if shooting in JPG mode the Auto-DR means you will never blow highlights. In 8000 frames last year I had "horribly blown highlights" in precisely 0 images.

Not a perfect camera, but hugely innovative and simply fantastic if it suits your needs, as it does mine. Since getting it I have shot 1000 frames with my 5DMkII and 8000 with the X100. I was not expecting that at all. I expected it to be the other way round, and would have been quite happy.

The X10 - is it perfect? No, of course not. But it has very good image quality in its niche, is very stylish, has a great lens. Perfect? No, but it suits some people very well, and is selling well because of that.

The XS1. Suffers from the same sensor problems that the X10 does, but gains the same benefits of the larger sensor and excellent JPG engine. Great zoom range. Rather ugly though. A very good all-rounder, and some reviewers are calling it the best superzoom ever made. If I were in the market for a superzoom I would certainly consider it very seriously.

The XPro1? Here they are aiming at people who would love a Leica M8 or M9, but cannot afford or get hold of one. The IQ promises to be quite close at around 20-25% of the cost of an equivalent Leica setup. And they have zoom lenses in the pipeline. You think it's stupid? Well fair enough, but there seem to be a lot of people who disagree, pre-orders are strong and we'll see whether the market for a camera like this is strong or not. I suspect it will be around for a long time, and Fuji will be very successful with this camera.

So you think Fuji are messing up, but my question is what you would actually like to see them doing? If you were in charge of Fuji product development what would you tell them to build?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:23 AM   #5

peripatetic I agree with you !
With one exception, I think Fuji made an mistake with XS-1 ...
When the X10 sensor problems became so popular, and the company just keeps silent and everybody hopes there would be an firmware solution ....
I don't think the best move is to release on the market your "ultimate" camera with the same sensor and same problems
Even if they release an firmware update which will solve the white orbs problem, this is an scar on XS-1's name !!! A camera with quite high price, which I suppose is made to raise Fuji company as a leader in Superzoom class manufacturers
For other models I think you are right !

My pictures

Last edited by bugsbunny; Feb 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Default What camera?

Hello peripatetic,

Well, if I were in charge I would call back all the X serie camera's and pay your money back. I would admit in public that the X was a mistake, than start crying and apologize in the most humble way. (you know how Japanese managers act when they do this)
To make up to you I would develop a camera like the HS30 with clean ISO 1600 and a little fine grain ISO 3200 for the price of $499,99. That will restore confidence in the Fuji company.

guus
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7

I don't think they did a mistake. All cameras have issues, even canon has rotten eggs such as the red abberation I a have seen on passed dsl's.

The x-s1 I would consider even with the orb issue. The Orb issue is not apparent using higher iso than 400 and even higher iso than 400 on this camera the image is still far superior than the hs series iso images at 100.

I am waiting on the firmware upgrade as well as a few votes from people because there is no reason for me to upgrade at this point unless I can get a substantial increase of image quality.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:25 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Dear guus,

Fuji never thought anyone outside Japan would want an X100. They thought the total market in the first year would be maybe 10,000 units. Instead they sold 100,000. I'm not sure how you could think that was such a terrible mistake?

When I first saw the camera I couldn't believe that someone had been brave enough and take the financial risk to make a camera that was everything I had wanted for 10 years and never thought I would ever get.

The other camera that Fuji make that I really want is the GF670, but film is too expensive and time-consuming for me at the moment.

I think Fuji is one of the very few truly innovative companies in the photography market, and I'm very glad you're not in charge.

I do hope they build you a better HS30 though. I'm not sure how they could put such great low light performance in a small sensor. Perhaps in a few years.

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:01 PM   #9

Just for you guys info, a personal client of mine loves his x100, he uses canon cameras for his high profile client nike.

Wish I can mention a name here but I can't due to client confidentiality. I was very surprised. This conversation occurred when we were talking about the framed pictures up on his parents home and he showed me his business card and website. Boy I was shocked at how gorgeous he takes his shots. THen I mentioned I'm a camera "bridge" lover also mentioning fuji and he was eager to show me his fuji x100. He says he loves it. He takes it on his trips and this camera was in his carry hand bag.

Fuji is on the right track if you have a high profile photographer such as this guy buying the product.

Last edited by Cresho; Feb 5, 2012 at 3:05 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 4:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
To make up to you I would develop a camera like the HS30 with clean ISO 1600 and a little fine grain ISO 3200 for the price of $499,99. That will restore confidence in the Fuji company.
guus
Maybe you've watched some science fiction soon.
But the physics on the EARTH won't permit your wishes to be accomplished !
There is no way to produce clean high ISO image from small sensor and to have high resolution ! The light is insufficient to be possible your task !

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote