Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 25, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1

Default S7000 vs. Nikon 5700, Lumix dmc-fz10, and minolta A1???

Hi,
I'm brand new here in this forum, although I've enjoyed reading Steve's reviews for some time.

I presently own an Olympus 3020, which is a no bells and whistles 3.2 mp point and shoot. I've been pleased with the overall quality of the pics, but have found myself missing out on some great shots that required a much longer zoom(the Oly has the standard 3x)...and with my girls in marching bands, drumline, and taekwondo tournaments, I oftentimes cannot get in close enough to get a decent pic---just nice "group" shots! I do print out shots occasionally, but usually nothing larger than an 8x10.

I've been looking and "researching" the above mentioned cameras, and am very impressed with their capabilities...but, outside of being able to choose shutter speed/aperature priorities, I'm pretty much a point and shoot amateur. The A1 and Nikon 5700 are very feature-rich...but are they too much for a point and shooter?? The Lumix fz-10 seems really cool with its Leica 12x zoom, but there have been comments about picture quality and design issues that concern me. The S7000 is very unique in that it seems to draw very strong reactions to it...reviewers either really love it or really hate it.

Have any of you had a chance to play with most or all of these cams, and can offer comments? Last question--have any of you S7000 owners found the camera lacking because it doesn't have image stabilization? I've had no problems with my somewhat shaky hands with my Oly 3020 or my Sony mini-dv 10x camcorder(with image stab.)...but don't know how they'll do with a non-stabilized long zoom like the S7000's.

Many thanks for your time and help!
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:59 PM   #2

I am sure that you are not the only one to ask this question as they all have good resolution and nice zoom capabilities. I have used the 5700 and I own an FZ-10. I also played with the s7000 and A1 in camera shops. I liked the price and features of the Fuji, but wasn't as pleased with the image quality. The 5700 was appealing because I already have owned two Nikons (775 and 4300), but when I used it, I felt that the autofocus was "confused" about what to focus on. My relative was the owner and she felt the same way. The A1 and FZ-10 both have IS and I really wanted this feature. The FZ-10 was significantly less expensive so I went with it.

I have found that even though these have point-and-shoot capabilities, the more I learn about the camera, the better my photos turn out. So limited experience with the others may have been a factor (especially the 5700 for me). I personally have had some trouble with indoor shooting because the LCD image can look perfect but once downloaded to the computer (and back home from the event), they tend to be underexposed. Now I bracket the exposure and take a bunch of shots. The burst modes (low and high) are great for action (keep image review off so you can follow the action). The image stabilization works great.

There is a website with a lot of happy FZ-10 owners www.onlinephotographers.com. Check it out and good luck with your choice.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:38 AM   #3

Default Re: S7000 vs. Nikon 5700, Lumix dmc-fz10, and minolta A1???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukispop
Hi,
I'm brand new here in this forum, although I've enjoyed reading Steve's reviews for some time.

I presently own an Olympus 3020, which is a no bells and whistles 3.2 mp point and shoot. I've been pleased with the overall quality of the pics, but have found myself missing out on some great shots that required a much longer zoom(the Oly has the standard 3x)...and with my girls in marching bands, drumline, and taekwondo tournaments, I oftentimes cannot get in close enough to get a decent pic---just nice "group" shots! I do print out shots occasionally, but usually nothing larger than an 8x10.

I've been looking and "researching" the above mentioned cameras, and am very impressed with their capabilities...but, outside of being able to choose shutter speed/aperature priorities, I'm pretty much a point and shoot amateur. The A1 and Nikon 5700 are very feature-rich...but are they too much for a point and shooter?? The Lumix fz-10 seems really cool with its Leica 12x zoom, but there have been comments about picture quality and design issues that concern me. The S7000 is very unique in that it seems to draw very strong reactions to it...reviewers either really love it or really hate it.

Have any of you had a chance to play with most or all of these cams, and can offer comments? Last question--have any of you S7000 owners found the camera lacking because it doesn't have image stabilization? I've had no problems with my somewhat shaky hands with my Oly 3020 or my Sony mini-dv 10x camcorder(with image stab.)...but don't know how they'll do with a non-stabilized long zoom like the S7000's.

Many thanks for your time and help!
Actually, I have been amazed at the zoom pictures I take with the S7000. On most shots where I am holding the camera and using full zoom, the focus has benn is excellent. Kind of suprised me also, but it's very good. I am definitely one of those with the S7000 that loves it..
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:06 AM   #4

I own the S7000 from fuji and I love it too. I have no experience with the other cameras you mention above. As for IS I generally dont have a problem without it execpt when I take macros (which I should really be using a tripod for ). I discard about 20%-30% of my macro shots that I take free hand. But thats ok (I think). Over all I love the camera and It is making me look at photographs in a whole new light. I am glad I got it.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:46 PM   #5

Hi srvsd, BigMike, and zace27,

Thank you very much for your comments! And I will check out that FZ10 website, srvsd! Thanks for providing it!

I've been reading up on as many reviews/user comments on the S7000 as possible...and it's cool to see how much the S7000 owners LOVE their camera....The same with FZ10 owners, too! I guess it just goes to show that you shouldn't rely too heavily on all of those test results and analyses from all of those "professional" reviews...besides, it's not just about the images...it's also about having fun with your camera too, and it sounds like a lot of you S7000 and FZ10 owners are having a lot of fun with your cameras! And that's what I want from my camera too!

Thanks again! Take care....
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:58 AM   #6

Geoff,

There is no question that these cameras have a learning curve, especially for amateurs or enthusiasts like most of us. That is why I think it is difficult to choose based on reviews and playing with one for 5 minutes in a store. I tried to read reviews and see if there were any consistent complaints and if that complaint seemed to apply to me. I take pictures of my kids and sporting events mostly so I wanted relatively quick turn-on to shot time and a good zoom. Other features were less important to me.

When I first took some photos with the FZ-10 in full auto mode, I thought I bought the "wrong" camera. Indoor shots were very underexposed. Then I realized that I had to manually pop up the flash--something I wasn't used to since I had a Coolpix 4300. And the more I work with it, the better my pictures become.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:02 PM   #7

Geoff,

If you are primarily a point & shooter looking for a long zoom why not the Fuji S5000. It has these features and at a much lower price. It will also allow you to grow into the advanced capabilities. It works well in auto or programmed auto modes and also offers shutter priority, aperture priority as well as manual.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago for $295 and I absolutely love it.

Howard
howardka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 7:36 PM   #8

Hi Steve and Howard,

'Sorry to reply so late....been getting over a bad cold...anyway, thanks for the great advice! You're right, Steve...instead of worrying about all of the possible "negatives" of any particular camera, I should focus only on those aspects which would apply to me...thanks!

And thanks, Howard! The S5000 is a nice camera with a great zoom...it's also a nice looking camera, too....I'll have to look into that model more closely...I love the price! I liked your pics...especially the ones of Long Beach Island!