Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:07 PM   #11

theduke

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:56 pm Post subject: Help with Lens adaptors for s602 desperatly required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

Just joined this forum, hope you are all well.

At the moment I am in the market for an S602 but need to understand about lens adaptors:

The new S5000 looks like an SLR with the adaptor kit that comes with the camera. the S602 does not come with this adaptor. Can you use the same adaptor that come with the S5000? On the Fuji site the number of the S5000 adaptor is different to the one listed for the S602. The reason I ask is that I would like to make the S602 look like an SLR camera and I can't seem to find any pictures on the net showing the camera fitted with the Fuji adaptor. All the pictures of the S5000 show the camera with the adaptor attached and it does look very cool. The adaptor matches the width of the camera lens perfectly giving the appearance of an SLR lens. Would this also be the case on the S602?

Finally can you leave the adaptor in place like the S5000 and attach the lens cap to the S602 adapator recommended by Fuji ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

The Duke

theduke

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:25 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi djb

Many thanks for the response.

I was wondering if you had a photo of your camera with the adaptor attached. I have seen other adaptors but they don't seem to the same diameter as the lens casing they are slighly smaller. The s5000's adaptor is the same diameter as the lens casing so it flows along to give the impression of a larger slr lens.

I know that this may seem strange to be focusing on how the camera looks it lust that I was impressed with look of the s5000 and hoped to recreate it on the S602.

Again many thanks

The Duke

From DPReview Forum...

Hi All

Just joined this forum, hope you are all well.

At the moment I am in the market for an S602 but need to understand about lens adaptors:

The new S5000 looks like an SLR with the adaptor kit that comes with the camera. the S602 does not come with this adaptor. Can you use the same adaptor that come with the S5000? On the Fuji site the number of the S5000 adaptor is different to the one listed for the S602. The reason I ask is that I would like to make the S602 look like an SLR camera and I can't seem to find any pictures on the net showing the camera fitted with the Fuji adaptor. All the pictures of the S5000 show the camera with the adaptor attached and it does look very cool. The adaptor matches the width of the camera lens perfectly giving the appearance of an SLR lens. Would this also be the case on the S602?

Finally can you leave the adaptor in place like the S5000 and attach the lens cap to the S602 adapator recommended by Fuji ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

The Duke

AND
Many thanks for the response.

I was wondering if you had any photos of your camera with the adaptor attached so I could get more of idea on how it looks. I looked at the pics from the site that Ted sent me and they were interesting.

Again many thanks to you and all the replies

Thomas

(AKA "TheDuke")

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

CHECK THE LINK!!!!!!!!
Snowdrggn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:29 PM   #12
djb

oh.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:14 PM   #13

Uh huh.....
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:49 AM   #14

Eh!! excuse me guys......

If you check back to my third posting you will see I checked the link and commented on the adpator being smaller than the outer casing of the lens. So why the sarcastic comments???????

In my other post I also comment on that I have seen other pictures of this adaptor on the camera I have also seen all the pics aon the camerashed projects (sorry if this was not clear)

My query still stands that all of these adaptors are smaller than the outer casing of the camera lens on an S602 and I am looking for an adaptor that will have the same outer diameter as the lens casing. Look at the S5000 with the adaptpr attached it looks like an SLR lens. Hope this make more sense.

Thomas
theduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:16 AM   #15

On my 602, and any others that I have seen, the adapter is larger than the housing of the lens. When you turn the camera on the lens extends inside the adapter tube, bringing the front element of the lens closer to the filter, or the converter lens. You are saying the 5000 functions differently than this? I believe the 5000 uses a different length adapter tube, but the way it functions is similar. Could you please clarify this as it seems that if the adapter tube on a 5000 is smaller than the lens housing as you stated, the lens would have to extend over the adapter tube when the camera was powered up. If this is as you state, I can see your genuine concern, as this could definitely create all sorts of functional issues with the camera!
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:31 PM   #16

Hi Snowdrggn

From what I believe of the S5000 it looks the same as the 602 when the adaptor is removed. However if you look at the link below (a PDF doc and the pic is on page 2)you will see a side profile picture of the 5000 showing the adaptor attached. In this picture you can see that the adaptor is the same diameter as the lens casing so the lens comes out of the body to the "fake" manual focus rubber ring then it meets the adaptor. This pic shows that there is almost no difference in size and therefore gives the imression that this in fact is all one lens. The pictures that were on the links that you sent and otheres that I have seen show the body of the 602 lens coming out meeting the "true" manual focus ring it then meets the adaptor but the adaptor is smaller in diameter so you can see a noticeable change and therefore it does not look like one single lens.

I know that this seems a petty thing to want. I just like the look of the 5000 wondered was there an adaptor out there that would but up to the camera body on the 602 without any noticeable difference in size. I spoke to Fuji and they said that the adaptor on the 5000 is a different size to the 602 which I found strange as I thought both cameras had a 55mm thread. They may have been talking about the length of the adaptor given then greater zoom on the 5000.

Hope this makes more sense and thanks again for your input on this

Thomas

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/.../S5000-bro.pdf
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:48 PM   #17

On the 602 the lens extends and retracts inside the adapter tube. There is no difference in the camera dimensions whether it is powered up or not with the adapter tube installed. The tube does add to the protruded distance on the front of the camera substantially when in the powered down mode. Does this make it look like an SLR? Not in my opinion. It looks similar, but not like a SLR/DSLR lens on the front. The main reason I leave the tube and UV-0 filter on my camera is for protection of the actual lens, and to help keep contminants from being sucked into the camera when the lens extends and retracts.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:32 PM   #18
djb

the s5000 works the same way as the s602. the lens must come out further than the base of the adapter. the first picture shows the adapter on but the lens is not extended. the s602 looks very similar. I agree with Snowdrggn about the use of the adapter. i use it for a filter and protection and for closeup lenses. i also my buy a tellense for it too as i think it lacks in long telephoto for my use. Thomas, if you really want a dslr/slr look then i suggest you buy one as you will get more featurers and be able to be a lot more divesified.

dennis

p.s. sorry about the sarcasm in a previous reply.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 4:44 PM   #19

Hi Guys

I think that I will be placing my order tonight for an S602 I just wanted to make it look even better. A silly notion I know.

To be perfectly honest I was already sold on it given it's features and picture quality.

I will let you know how I get it on when it arrives in the next couple of days and hopefully will have some pictures to show.

Again thank you for the effort that you put in to trying to help me "dress up" my future purchase ha ha...

Take care, will speak soon

Thomas
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:00 PM   #20

I'm sure you'll be happy with the camera. I know I am with mine, and it continues to amaze me. In fact I have purchased 2 602Pro cameras. The first one I purchased, was adopted by my resident lumpy sweatered, pony tailed, camera bandit! I purchased the second one to replace the one I lost to her, so I would have a decent digicam for myself. There pros and cons to every camera on the market, but I feel for myself the 602 was the best all around choice. I sincerely hope that you enjoy your new camera, take the time to learn it (there will be moments of frustration), and are ultimately satisfied with your purchase.

Best wishes,
Snow.