Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:36 PM   #1

Default HS20 or HS30?

Soon the HS30 will be on shelves which most likely is the reason for the price drop of the HS20. My question centers around whether the HS30 is worth the +$200 costs over the HS20 that can be had for around $300. I reckon it's hard for anyone to speculate because there's not been hands on experience yet but reading that the HS30 video now has manual focus, does this remedy the video flaw(s) of the HS20? Overall, I image the still IQs are the same.

My use of video would be small clips probably no longer than 10 mins; would this justify the HS30?
radunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:27 PM   #2

video flaws still present on hs30 but better than hs20, sensor on hs30 better than hs20, noise reduction is improved, you get digital zoom for a total zoom of 60 overall which means noise is greatly improved.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
you get digital zoom for a total zoom of 60 overall which means noise is greatly improved.
I thought digital zoom was a featured not to be used; has it improved?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
video flaws still present on hs30 but better than hs20, sensor on hs30 better than hs20, noise reduction is improved, you get digital zoom for a total zoom of 60 overall which means noise is greatly improved.
What is the need of Digital zoom ?
I can't imagine ! Why don't just shoot a normal picture, and crop it on the PC.

And what is the different on the sensor ?
You mean Fuji has designed a new 16 mp sensor ? i think that the different is just the software...

For me, the main improvement is the manual focus on the video, but this is all theoretical, because the electronic focus ring on HS-20 is just so inconvenient. It is nothing close to real mechanical focus ring ! And on video, this will be very bad, I suppose.

My pictures
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Overall, would like to know if the HS20 for $299 is a bargain or should I opt for the HS30? .... Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radunn View Post
Overall, would like to know if the HS20 for $299 is a bargain or should I opt for the HS30? .... Thanks!
The question you should ask yourself is, does the slight improvements of the HS30 justify the extra expense?

Same question I asked myself last month concerning the Nikon P7000 and the 7001. With firmware version 1.2 out for the P7000, all past issues with the camera have been corrected. For $200.00 less, I could do without the tilting back on the P7100....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision of Dreams View Post
The question you should ask yourself is, does the slight improvements of the HS30 justify the extra expense?
I have an HS20EXR and asked myself the same question and the answer so far is "no" for the price. For me, the only advantage with the HS30 is the improved EVF, however I have gotten use to the HS20 EVF and cannot (yet) justify the extra USD100 for the HS30. As the price drops further, I may change my mind.

BTW, the HS30EXR is now selling for about USD400 including delivery from HKG.

Last edited by rbscairns; Mar 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM.
rbscairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:22 AM   #8

Default Digital zoom benefit

Regarding digital zoom: Yes, it's useless as a way to get more image data (resolution). However, it is very helpful as an aid to autofocus. As an HS20 owner, many times I have wished I could tell the camera to focus on the bird rather than the leaves in front of / behind it. On other cameras I have found digital zoom very useful for this; when you are digitally zoomed all the way in, the camera knows what to focus on. Without digital zoom, many times focusing on a distant animal is a crapshoot if there are any objects nearby in a different focal plane. True, you end up with essentially a cropped image, but for distant birds that is what you probably were after anyway.

However, I don't plan to upgrade to HS30 because AA batteries are a big priority for me -- much more convenient.

Last edited by crabocado; Apr 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
crabocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:51 PM   #9

Yes, for me, too, the lack of AAs is a deal breaker. Why did they do that with the HS30? Was it the result of a market study or a requirement of the technology they are using?

The 4 Eneloop batteries in my HS20 total 5.88 volts at full charge (average of 1.47 volts per battery)
The Li-ion battery in the HS30 is 7.2 volts. But $69 for a spare battery?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849425-REG/Fujifilm_16225858_NP_W126_Li_Ion_Battery_Pack.html

With $11 worth of rechargable Eneloops http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop-...dp_ob_title_ce in my pocket I can also get more than 600 shots. I use my charger for a dozen other items around the house, so I consider that a wash.

Last edited by gfmucci; Apr 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:23 PM   #10

The higher voltage could be used to increase the "write" speed of it's processor....
overclocking or better the right voltage for the design of the cpu..

just a guess

It can be also "bait" to give marketing an idea of what customers are looking for in their camera's

But i will stick to my HS 20 also for the same reason, that little extra speed and the digital zoom, no thanks
i compared it last weekend with my second camera a D90 with this time a prime 50 mm f1.8 , some times the D90 was a bit sharper, but the HS20 won every time in colors and contrast to my taste

greetz
Sprint