Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1

Default Finally Bought A Digital Camera

Hi

I just bought my first Digital Camera, at last!! It is a Fuji S602. I have read so much about it and seen some cracking pictures from them.

EDIT
I returned the Fuji and bought a Canon A80!
Very pleased that i did so. The Canon's picture quality is superb! Also, the A80 is neat and small and has all the manual settings that i need!
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 8:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the s602z family. I would recommend the UV filter. If nothing other than to protect the lens. I just got one and wish I'd bought it sooner. I work in very dusty conditions and am constantly cleaning lens.

I think you'll be happy with this camera. Take your time and get used to the shutter lag. The best part of digital is you can learn from your mistakes much faster than with film.

Enjoy!
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3

Default Shutter Lag...

pbnoj:

Do you have a lot of shutter lag? Your camera may not be using its external AF sensor in conjuction with its CCD AF sensor and is taking much longer to focus. There may be a few reasons why that's happening:

Quote from page 30 of the S602Z manual:

"The FinePix S602 ZOOM uses an external AF sensor (...) that features faster AF operation than previous models. The external AF sensor does not operate in Macro or Super Macro mode,
when the digital zoom or AREA AF is used,
or when "SET ADAPTER RING" - YES is specified.
Focusing may take longer if the external AF sensor is soiled (P. 86)."
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:54 PM   #4

Only a little shutter lag. This is my first digital camera and it did take me some time to get used to it. Going from slr film to digital takes some practice. Any shutter lag when shooting racing is going to take practice. More so in cold weather. Keeping it clean at some races has been fun. :lol:
pbnoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:13 PM   #5

Default Oh

I didn't realize that you went from film to digital camera. I too used to have a film camera and I know exactly what you mean by the shutter lag difference between the two.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:44 AM   #6

Default Re: Finally Bought A Digital Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp
Hi

I just bought my first Digital Camera, at last!! It is a Fuji S602. I have read so much about it and seen some cracking pictures from them.

EDIT
Very pleased that i did so. The Canon's picture quality is superb! Also, the A80 is neat and small and has all the manual settings that i need!
:lol: For me, A80 vs S602 is like comparing a bicyle with a motorbike... A80's quality is superb? Comparing to S602? You have got to be kidding A80's quality is the same as A70, which is poorer than A40's and I had A40 and S5000 is better than A40, and S602 is somewhat better than S5000, thus ...

But sorry for ranting, that's just my opinion :P
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi

EDIT
Well, at least you finally found something that works for you. Now I am very familar with the Canon A80, and it has a great picture, but unless you had a bad S602, then they are really not in the same ballpark. However, the cannon A80 does use a lot of on-board processing, so many of the pictures are going to look better straight out of the camera, where the S602, like most high end digitals, and even the dslrs, require post processing to bring out the best quality. The reason is simple. You can apply sharpening to suit the purpose of the photo during post, but after its already applied via the camera, it's a different story. So higher end cameras require more work to get the most out of them. Also, then tend to be poor point and shoot cameras, because that is not their primary function.

The A80, is basically a point and shoot, it's small, and pictures will pop out of it already sharp, so those features might suit your needs better, chimp. Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and hopefully you are finally good to go now...
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedee
Quote:
Hi

EDIT
:lol: For me, A80 vs S602 is like comparing a bicyle with a motorbike... A80's quality is superb? Comparing to S602? You have got to be kidding A80's quality is the same as A70, which is poorer than A40's and I had A40 and S5000 is better than A40, and S602 is somewhat better than S5000, thus ...

But sorry for ranting, that's just my opinion :P
I agree with you on the A70 having poorer quality than the A40. I also seen that with my own eyes. Still think that A40 was the best in the Canon A line so far. I think, Veedee, that some people just don't, won't, or can't deal with post processing. Not that I am saying that is Chimps reason for trading. You and I both know that the better the camera, the less sharpening is applied in-camera, and also they tend to even under-expose some pictures, because that is easy to fix post, but a blown picture can't be. I think some people want that picture to pop out of the camera perfect looking, and if it doesn't, they blame the camera. I do think it would help if the camera companies would state these facts a little clearer to the consumer. Then again, for the general consumer, trying to tell them that the picture on higher end cameras, will not be as sharp as on the lower end cameras, might cause their heads to explode
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 1:23 PM   #9

Hi

I changed from the Fuji S602 To The Canon A80 because of size. The quality of pictures looked just as good to me.

Also, the 4m/pixel does a good job with producing the quality pictures i am after.

I agree that the S602 is a cool camera with excellent picture quality too. It is a large camera though. Very bulky for me and the wife. Saying that, if one was available for a good price i would snap it up!!

I am just learning to use the A80 and so far i am happy with the results especially as it has full manual controls too. I do wish that it had a bigger lens though!
chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:27 AM   #10

Congratulations, chimp !
I think you bought one of the best of it's class - the A80 has point and shoot capabilities and offers lots more for anyone who wants to improve his pictures by turning some screws.
:idea: Let me propose the following: Don't use the (full-)auto-mode. The autofocus-setting seems not be usefull - you really do not know which item the camera will focus in the moment you press the shutter-button. The auto-iso function is not so good also. Zo my mind it is better to set an iso-value of my own and to use central-focus, than you have to alter the settings just once in a while.

P.S.:
I am suffering from A70's "bad" picture quality, whereas my sister in law has an A80 - and for all the native Fuji-supporters: I am going to get a S7000 as my REAL camera...
W.D.John is offline   Reply With Quote