Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:12 PM   #1

Default Camera just Died

My wife has a FinePix 3800 and she was downloading some pictures when our computer suddenly blue screened (does this randomly on occasion). She restarted the computer and tried to continue, but the camera was dead. It will not turn on at all. I tried replacing the batteries (just in case they were dead too), but that didn't help. I get nothing at all, no sounds, nothing.

Any idea what could have happened and what I should look into doing? Is it salvagable?

Thanks in advance.
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2004, 5:27 PM   #2

Sounds like your camera might have got zapped back up its usb cable. Blue screens on their own in pc's are usually just a nuisance. But if something amiss on the pc power rails is causing it, then this could be serious.The USB link cable includes a connection to your pc's 5 volt supply but I don't know if your camera makes a connection to it or not.

Try leaving the batts overnight then restarting the camera in case it's got itself hung up, if it has an external dc supply jack, try that as well, also try powering with the memory card removed, in case it got zapped. Good Luck, VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:32 PM   #3
hst

Default Also try a different memory card

If you hadn't try starting it without the memory card or with a different card. Also if you have a power adapter, give it a try without the batteries in the camera.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 5:32 AM   #4

Default Re: Camera just Died

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyR
Any idea what could have happened and what I should look into doing? Is it salvagable?
Apart from all the other suggestions, if all else fails, just open up the back. Look for a loose / fallen connector, bad solder joint, corrosion on terminals. Even though I don't specifically know that model, It's rarely difficult to get them open. Many hundreds have successfully opened up their S602's from my service guides, so you won't be alone.
See www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html if interested in this path :-)
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 7:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I left the batteries out overnight and tried fresh batteries in it this evening with a different memory card and no luck.

I even pulled it apart last night to see if I could see any fuses (wishful thinking) or any other clues that might lead me to a fix. Unfortunately nothing has worked. I'll probably get in touch with Fuji soon to see what they say. I don't recall what the warranty was, but I think we've had it less than a year.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote