Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 AM   #1

Default Hs50...!!

The new kid's in town folks...!
http://m43blog.com/2013/01/06/fuji-a...nepix-hs50exr/
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:32 AM   #2

How does this compare to Canon's SX50?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3

yhbae... well,no tests are out for the Fuji yet- so it's a basic spec's fight- though of course,specs don't tell the full story....
The Canon has more reach- 1200mm v 1000mm (though both huge..!) and both are equally wide- 24mm.
The Fuji's "manual" zoom makes for a better photographers tool (with regards handling anyhow....) whilst the zoom lever favored by the canon makes for better video control.
The Fuji has the larger LCD screen and a far superior viewfinder.
The Fuji also has a "faster" aperture at full zoom- f/5.6 v 6.5.
All said and done however, only a comprehensive review will reveal the Fuji's strengths/weaknesses...
Will the image stabilizer be up to the job? Will the AF be as fast as stated- and will it track subjects effectively..? What will the optical quality of the lens be like..etc,etc...
I guess in time we'll know the answers to the above...
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:17 AM   #4

reading this, and joined this forum out of interest in the HS50. I once owned a HS20, but could not get along with it. I found the small viewfinder made it difficult so see whether the camera had focused and the EXR mode giving a max. resolution of 8mp too low.

I am aware that the HS30 & XS1 had an improved viewfinder, but also the "intelligent digital zoom" likewise only had 8mp max. resolution.

Does anyone know these specs. for the HS50. Looked online for the user's manual but does not seem to be avaliable yet
kenwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:40 AM   #5

Kenwfd- indeed,the HS10,20 and to a lesser degree the HS30 had it's quirks- though the viewfinder was improved on the HS30 and the XS-1's was excellent.
Curiously,I preferred the zoom action of the HS30 over the XS-1 as the zooming action was quicker/lighter.
One area the HS's need to improve is the processing- with a larger buffer and faster write speeds- its pointless having fast burst speeds/fps on paper if you can only utilize such speed for less than a second...!!
I don't really have a problem with "only" 8mp in DR or Low Noise EXR mode, provided fine detail is captured- and lets hope the new AF system is as quick as Fuji says...

Here's a "first look" video from the Fuji guy's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXUKeHMt_ak
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:00 AM   #6

Cut and pasted from DP review

Valhalla, N.Y., January 7, 2013 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation announces the new flagship FinePix HS50EXR that features a manual zoom lens for high precision zooming over a huge 42x focal length range (24-1000mm*2) and a new ” EXR CMOS II sensor with phase detection that achieves the world’s fastest autofocus speed in its class of just 0.05 seconds*1.

“The new HS50EXR bridge camera gives consumers a truly amazing autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds and a wide range of shooting features in an all-in-one design that is more economical and easier to use than expensive and heavy DSLR kits,” said David Troy, director of marketing, Digital Cameras, Electronic Imaging Division, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “With the HS50EXR, users can capture everything from beautiful wide angle landscape shots to sharp telephoto pictures with its powerful 42x zoom and Optical image Stabilization – no shot will be too far away again.”

New EXR CMOS II Sensor with Phase Detection for High Performance
The HS50EXR boasts the latest FUJIFILM EXR 16MP ” EXR CMOS II sensor, as well as the EXR Processor II, which has faster processing speeds compared to the previous generation EXR processor.
The HS50EXR now includes built-in phase detection to achieve an incredibly fast autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds in fastest conditions, along with a new Intelligent Hybrid Autofocus system that automatically selects between phase detection autofocus or contrast autofocus in low light to ensure the optimal focus system is used for sharp, vibrant images.

The new EXR CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II make the HS50EXR a truly powerful camera when it comes to capturing moving objects. In addition to the 0.05 seconds autofocus speed*1, it also achieves a start-up time of 0.5 seconds*3, and interval time between shots of just 0.5*4 seconds. And by using the Continuous Shooting mode, the HS50EXR can shoot in burst mode of 11fps at the full 16MP resolution (up to 5 frames)*4 and seamless 5.5fps shooting at 8MP resolution. Combined, these technologies mean that you will never miss that crucial shot, no matter how fast your subject is moving.

The only thing not clear to me is how long it would take to write 5 frames at 16mp resolution. logically 2.5secs?

And indeed will it autofocus as fast as Fuji claim. My long reach lens is currently a Sigma 170 - 500 coupled to a Canon 550d body, it does tend to hunt especially for birds in flight or airshows, I find I often have to use the technique of focusing on something at an approximate distance as the subject first

I have seriously considered the XS1, when it was launched advice was that the price tag in the UK of 699 was far too high, then I did not have the funds for a new camera. They may be grey imports as quite a few Asian sellers on that well known auction site do not indicate that they are not UK based, recently a new XS1 was on sale for around 450

If it anin't broke don't mend it
don't force it - use a bigger hammer
kenwfd is offline   Reply With Quote