Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Help convince me!

Hi!

I have read alot of Reviews about the S5000, and all of them says that the image quality is really bad.

But im still thinking about buying this camera, I just need some positive sides of this camera.

I have been looking through the pictures on this site, and alot of them are really beautiful.

But how big of a issue is the image quality, is it only some pictures that is bad?

And what does this mean 6.0 million recorded pixels?
Barry18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:36 AM   #2

You can ask other s5k users at www.s5000.net forums. Basically, you can also search here, because this subject has already been discussed.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:02 AM   #3

.............And what does this mean 6.0 million recorded pixels?

It means the sensor doesn't actually have 6.0 million discrete photo sites, but uses adjacent pixels to create the equivalent of 6.0Mpix of data which is recorded. That's a bit of over simplification as Fuji's proprietary technology for turning the sensor at 45 degrees, doing the re-sampling and outputing the equivalent of a larger file has received plenty of airing and discussion. Eventually it comes down to whether you feel pictures benefit their resolution in a diagonal image plane - or conventionally along horizontal and vertical axes. I think there are arguments in both camps, but comparing values is made more complicated and many other factors in a camera design are at work as well.

.........I have been looking through the pictures on this site, and alot of them are really beautiful.

The best way to judge the picture quality is to try a camera and get some images printed. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 5:31 PM   #4
hst

Default Barry don't depend only on the reviews

Barry,
I'm not sure why, but most reviews on Fuji products seem to be slanted to the negative, however they do have very good cameras. I have seen several and currently am using the S7000. The thing you have to remember with Fuji is that they interpol the images to a larger resolution. The 5000 for example is really a 3MP camera not a 6MP. You have to compare it to other 3MP cameras to get a true quality assessment. If you do that you will find they often outmatch or match other high quaility digicams with the same resolution. If you look at the S5000 as a 6MP camera you will probably be disapointed because when you view 6MP images at 100% there is a lot of noise, however when viewed at 66% they are crisp. I would have never bought the S7000 based on the reviews but when users started telling me how much they enjoyed it, I decided to give it a try. It is by far the best digicam I have personnal used.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:55 AM   #5

this might be a bad sample bad, oh well,
I'm just another point-n-shoot guy shooting around

http://vnoxs5000.fotopic.net

backyard shots

RAW to TIFF to JPG

very with S5000 since Nov.2003

the best price for a 3.2 megapixel that can do 6 as an optional

good luck
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote