Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 15, 2004, 6:45 PM   #1

Default Fuji 602 zoom - Freezing effects of water help

Hello,I have a Fuji 602 zoom and would like to know if somebody can help me with the settings for taking slow motion water pics,(freezing the effects of water,page 31 of manual).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:55 AM   #2

Close up, taps dripping running water etc, use flash and force a high shutter speed 1/500th to 1/1000th. In daylight similar high shutter speed, although you need to experiment by lowering shutter so you get freeze with some motion blur which can look better. At these high shutter speeds you will need a larger f stop to compensate the high shutter & give correct exposure.

In some cases you can have so much light coming back from water that you may have to add a neutral density filter to allow a wider aperture to be used and limit depth of field (give some background blurring) or allow a 'sweet spot' aperture of around f8 to be used.

Generally for this type of work on a 602, you will be using the manual or priority modes. I'm afraid these type of pics don't just come with the camera firmware and auto modes - you have to do some work, but you have the right camera to get good results! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:29 PM   #3

Default Freezing effects of water-Thanks

Thank you for your help in helping with the effects of water.I will give it a try and will let you know the results.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 4:32 PM   #4

Default Slow motion water Fuji 602 zoom

Thanks for the help. It seems like I have sorted it out. Here is what I have learnt.
Use either Neutral Density X8 Filter or Circular Polariser Filter
Take pic on cloudy day or in shade
Set white balance to cloudy
Shutter speed set at 1/15 of a second
Self Timer
Tripod
Take pic on A priotory
Exposure of 1 or 2 seconds (I don't know how to set yet on 602)

Any further help would be appreciated,and I hope this helps someone else.
John
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:16 PM   #5

.........Exposure of 1 or 2 seconds (I don't know how to set yet on 602)............

I think you should be in shutter (S) priority?? Then when you keep rotating the wheel, watch carefully for the symbol after the shutter number changing from ' to " (seconds). Although personally, with all the factors of ND, getting exposure right by taking multiple shots, I'd rather go entirely manual, fix the shutter speed first then shoot at different apertures, whilst peeking at the post view histogram to keep out of the white clipper. If you're not yet confident with manual focus using the EVF, you can still set auto focus.

Keep experimenting, at least the shot isn't likely to go away, and once set up on a tripod you can afford to take 20 shots at different settings to get the right one. As you learn and get more experienced, that number might come down to 5 or 6. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote