Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:20 AM   #1

Default S8400w

Hi folks. First post for me so be gentle.

I've been looking round for some time for a decent camera that is not quite a DSLR (not ready for that yet) but not a compact. After comparing and reading reviews for weeks I came across the Finepix S8400W.

Now one of the main reasons I went for this one was because of the viewfinder. Most bridge/compact cameras nowadays seem to omit this very basic technology, which I find essential. It also came with Wi-Fi which tbh I found to be a gimmick but works well with the iPad etc.

I wondered if anyone else had come across this camera before. I purchased this because it came with a CMOS sensor, but some reviews claim it to be CCD.

I have studied the manual. Had a good play and get some good shots. Occasionally. It seems most shots, particularly indoors are not the best. I currently use the M 4:3 setting which comes out at about 8MP when the camera is capable of 16MP and quality is set to Fine. I tend to use the auto settings more because I'm not too competent with shutter and aperture settings yet.

Any advice would be appreciated on this or bridge cameras in general.

Thanks
Dave
davlodge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:45 PM   #2

G'day Dave

Firstly, welcome to Steve's - you'll find plenty of fellow photo enthusiasts here and lots of friendly advice

Your S8400 is not too different from my X-s1 in many ways - they both have capabilities beyond our/my imagination.

When you feel comfortable, let us see some of your images - it's easy to link pics from Flickr [for example] into the forum here

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:10 PM   #3

There is a S4800 which uses a CCD sensor, but the S8400W is CMOS. Maybe someone transposed the numbers.
Indoor shots, unless you use flash, may not be too good due to the higher sensitivity range the camera will choose, giving more noise and some detail loss. You could try limiting the maximum ISO, but that could result in more motion blur.
Like phil, I have the XS-1 and am pretty pleased with it, though still learning my way around the (too many) options.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:31 PM   #4

for hand held indoor shots one needs:

iso 200 max - else 'noise'

1/30 or 1/60 sec shutter speed - else 'blur'

based on above and typical lighting levels,

f2 or faster lens

THESE ARE THE LAWS OF OPTICS AND PHYSICS

we can twist and squirm all we want, but, unless we are willing to settle for 'screen resolution' results, we need EITHER $$$$$$$$$$ flash units to match our $200 cam or better lenses which = $$$$$$$$$$$ cam
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:59 AM   #5

G'day BB

Without starting a 'flaming' exercise ...
I think that you are making a lot of assumptions here - the main one being the photographer vs the audience

I'm sure we've all seen our family / friends / workmates with their smartfones, showing us their "latest masterpiece" - and often it will include a crappy [to us] image taken so as to break your 'rules' above ... but to them, it is a masterpiece mostly in that they have recorded some sort of event which in past years they might not have succeeded in doing so

Each of us comes to the love of photography with different backgrounds, different expectations, and a vastly differing budget with which to satisfy our love affair

If someone's budget is $500 say, then it's no use you or me or others here suggesting that a full-frame $4000 Ca-Nik-ax with say, an 85mm f2 lens is what they need for their low-light work just because it's commercially available. Or someone who goes for a fixed-lens camera with a zoom that stretches out to 1000mm where that lens may not have the 'perfect' sharpness or chromatic aberrations under control - when all that person is doing is taking memories and 'happy-snaps' for viewing on the TV

It's very much horses-for-courses

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
...unless we are willing to settle for 'screen resolution' results...

NO FLAME INTENDED

I did not communicate my thought.

If you are on a limited budget you will have limited results REGARDLESS of all the advertising hype.

You will NOT be able to capture anything beyond a 'family snapshot' suitable for screen viewing UNLESS you have certain minimum equipment.

The most important needed:

'fine grain' recording medium - iso 200 or less
reasonable shutter speed assuming hand held - 1/30 or faster
to achieve above you will need f2 or faster aperture

or

hour upon hour spent in 'photoshop'

If you can get the above for under $1000 please inform me - I will buy out the store

ps. I have gone to a Fuji x10 PRECISELY due to the above, mainly f2 @ 28mm - however I do not plan on ever printing above 8x10

Last edited by bernabeu; Jan 31, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:24 PM   #7

I used to use grainy B&W film a lot, precisely because of the lack of sharpness in low light situations, and got some very nice photographs.
It isn't the gear that makes a good photo, it's the photographer.
Now, if you go out and buy a Pentax 645D and a few lenses, please post the results and I promise I will "ooh" and 'aah" over them.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:35 PM   #8

you are correct of course

but

the typical 'beginner' thinks the gear makes the shot and is CLUELESS regarding aperture, dof, ss, etc.

they would NOT be happy with a tri x pan pushed to asa 1200 print

try printing that 20x30 for wall art

attached shot w/ 1 meg 'el cheapo' @ critical aperture using (gasp) a tripod and (gasp) cable release circa 2002

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM.