Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:43 PM   #1

Default X-S1 Raw questions

I have only recently tried playing with RAW shooting with my X-S1, and am having some weird results from Raw developing software regarding image size.
Using the Fuji supplied Silkypix developer, things seem pretty normal, but I don't really get results that I think I should be able to from this camera, so I decided to try a couple other programs.
Both Paint Shop Pro X5, and Raw Therapee will develop the .RAF files, but the pixel dimensions are less than the full 4000x3000 pixels.
PSP delivers a 2848x2144 image, and RT comes up with 2840x2136 pixels. Both programs provide better control over the output regarding color, detail, etc., but only create 6MP images from a 12MP sensor.
Anybody know what is going on?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:57 AM   #2

I experienced the same when I had an X-S1- and given Fuji's EXR system, I came to the conclusion that the sensors native resolution was in fact 6mp and that 12mp images in jpeg mode were in fact up-sized by the processor.
The fact that 6mp images (M) in jpeg mode delivered better results also supported my theory... never mind that you could use 400%DR whilst retaining iso 100... as opposed to iso 400 in 12mp...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:04 PM   #3

G'day Brian

Can't help you mate - never use RAW

@Simon - interesting thoughts, tho the manual + other specs do state "12pmx effective pixels" for the sensor

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:18 PM   #4

DXO Mark lists the sensor as 12MP, as well, and I would guess they would mention if it was not (?). And, BTW, Irfanview comes up with even smaller pixel size, at 3MP. (these #s are all from the same RAW)
I get the impression that there are some proprietary tags used in the file format, which are not being read correctly by third party software.
I guess I will muddle along a bit more with the Silkypix program, and compare results to what I get with the others. Sure would be nice to be able to get full size files from PSP, though, which has that nice HDR from a single Raw function.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:57 PM   #5

Ozzie/VT... I think Fuji were telling porkies... and I'd rather see the words "actual" as opposed to "effective"...
Interestingly... if you scan the web there are many mysteries with RAW shooting for users of X10's,X100's etc... many scratching their head...!

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 9, 2014 at 6:22 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:28 AM   #6

i'm guessing it has something to do with fuji's sensor, which is a different configuration than other sensors. i've been reading about the issues people have been running into processing RAW from the X-T1 with a variety of RAW programs due to the differences in the sensor.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:09 AM   #7

Hi

When I had my X-S1 a few years ago I found the same issue when developing its RAW files.

I tried about 4 or 5 different RAW converters with all of them set to the same save results which was HQ Tiff Files and every single one produced a very different size result.

At the time I was a JPEG shooter so it didn't matter much to me.

Now I only shoot RAW but don't have the X-S1 any more. So problem solved.

I have just been given a HS50EXR so will have a play and report back.

Paul
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:14 AM   #8

Just did a quick test with the HS50

I only have silypix and Adobe camera RAW and Lightroom on my system now so only used the first two for this test

I took two identical RAF shots one in Program mode and one in EXR mode

Both RAF files were 24.4 Mb

I then used ACR to convert the RAF file to HQ JPEG 8bit and HQ TIFF 16bit

JPEG was 8.23 Mb, TIFF was 91.1 Mb with both files being 4608x3456

I then did the same in Silkypix

HQ JPEG 6.04 8bit HQ TIFF 16bit 91.2 Mb again the size was 4608x3456

Silkypix is doing a bit more compression on the JPEGs but everything else was about the same as it was between the program and the EXF mode.

Don't have any of the other RAWConverters loaded so don't know how they would perform but I suspect there might be something missed in the settings if they are producing smaller files pixel wise and not just compression wise.

Paul
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote