Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:01 PM   #1

Default S7000 users-question on manual focus and infinity

I'm a professional aerial photographer and my main camera is a medium format film cameras. My film cameras will be my main aerial camera.

However I'm considering a S7000 for all around use and occasional use for aerail photos when I don't need to make enlargements bigger than 8x10.

When shooting aerials I'm so far away from the ground that I just use manual focus and tape my lenses to infinity.

Do I understand that there isn't a way to set the focus on infinity on the S7000?

How do you focus on very distant objects in manual focus in your are in a hurry?

Because of air currents and parts of the aircraft getting in the way I would need to use the manual focus on the S7000. Since I'm moving and far away from any single object it's pretty hard to focus on anything maually unless the focus is very precise like it is on film lenses.

Do you know a way I can overcome this? I would really like to get
the camera.

Thanks,

Ron
[email protected]
ronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 2:56 AM   #2

If it's similar to the S602, the trick is to select landscape mode, with the lens capped, and your finger over the IR sensor at the front (does the 7000 have one?) half press the shutter to drive the lens motor to infinity, then switch to manual focus. If you turn off the camera, it resets and you have to repeat the procedure. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
If it's similar to the S602, the trick is to select landscape mode, with the lens capped, and your finger over the IR sensor at the front (does the 7000 have one?) half press the shutter to drive the lens motor to infinity, then switch to manual focus. If you turn off the camera, it resets and you have to repeat the procedure. VOX
That's a litte awkward but could work. Does anyone know if that will work with on the S7000?

Also how long will it stay powered up before it shuts off automatcally and this procedure needs to gone through again?

Is there a way of turning the auto shutoff "off?"

Thanks, Ron
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4

Yes it's a bit awkward, but the focus is a continuous motor - no end stops on the lens barrel! The 602 focus goes beyond infinity. I'm not sure if the manual focus is lost in 'sleep' mode - or if it's only on complete power down. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

Thanks Vox, hopefully someone with a S7000 owner will reply and let me know if this procedure will work on the S7000.

Ron