Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

Default Is s 7000 better than s 602??? Help!

I currently sold a sony mavica cd500 after using my uncles s 602. The s 602 produce much better images and video. Before I purchase a s 602 I thought I would take a look at the s 7000.
Has anybody used both? Thanks a lot.
smhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2

I've not owned either one, but have had brief exposure to both. It is my personal opinion that the 602 produced better images, simply because the 7000 seems to have greater compression on it's images, with fewer compression quality choices. The 7000 images seem to exhibit more noise as well. Just my opinion, but if I had to choose between only these two models, I'd go with the 602.

Of course, price is a factor. The 602 is an older model now, so shop around. Some who still have them are still trying to get top dollar for them, and others are lowering the prices in way of the new model releases.

Greg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:42 AM   #3

I sold my 602 to buy a 7000 when it first came out. Then I read the reviews and looked at the pictures. So I went out and bought another 602.

'Nuff said !
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:27 PM   #4

I have them both. The S7000Z can create images which can be printed much larger than those from the S602Z. In my experience, that is the principal difference between the two.

If you need to print 16x24 or larger, get the S7000 - otherwise there is really not enough difference overall unless you have lots of Secure Digital media. They both take MicroDrive and CF I and II but the S602Z also takes SmartMedia while the S7000Z takes Secure Digita.

The RAW mode is nice on the S7000Z if you have Adobe PhotoShop 8 with Adobe RAW. The Fuji RAW converter is a joke in my opinion.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 6:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
They both take MicroDrive and CF I and II but the S602Z also takes SmartMedia while the S7000Z takes Secure Digita.
Lin
Secure Digita? I assume you mean XD cards? Or is there something your not telling us!
Emperordalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 12:44 PM   #6

Apology - my mistake - You're right!

No, you're right - my mistake. I only use CF in both of them and I just looked at the tiny media supplied by Fuji and it is indeed an XD picture card.

I don't think any of my multi-card readers will even read the thing!

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:44 PM   #7
hst

Default I would choose the S7000

There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference between them accept for one is 3 actual MP and the other is 6 actual MP. Both have nearly identical features. The 602 has ISO 1600 whereas the 7000 has up to ISO 800 but that shouldn't be a major factor as they tend to get pretty noisy at that setting.

The prices I have seen for a new one have both been nearly identical for the two. Since the S7000 is a newer model and you now get a $100 rebate which does make it cheaper, I think the S7000 would be the way to go.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:18 AM   #8

One is 3 and the other 6 megapixel. The S7000 can do some great photos comparable to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel but in order to get those results you have to shoot in RAW mode (12 megapixel interpolated) and use Adobe Photoshop CS (Photoshop version 8) to post-process the files to JPEG. The resulting files are about 4.5 megs and have almost no perceptable noise even when cropped and enlarged (within reason.)

It would be very nice if Fuji released a firmware update that allowed you to adjust the compression factor of the JPEG image in the camera directly to get the same effect but I have never seen them release a firmware update to this date. If they did this camera would CRUSH IT'S COMPETITION!

All things considered you can get the S7000 for $399 after rebate. A 512 meg XD media card costs about $125 and can hold ~38 RAW images, overall not too bad considering other cameras that can produce images of this quality cost far more.

S7000 vs S602, no brainer the S7000 wins hands down!
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote