Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 26, 2004, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Fuji FinePix S5000 Questions - About to Buy

Greetings,
I've been looking for a new digital camera for the past several weeks.
I currently have a 35 mm Yashica camera with a wide and zoom lens, which I use a lot.
I also have an old,old Casio QV-100(no flash!)..I got from a friend in 1998..but haven't used in over 9 months...I plan on giving to one of my nephews or nieces.
With that said:
I am an amateur with no ambition for professional status.
I primarily want to take pictures of my family(esp. my 18 month old son), friends and anything that catches my eye when on vacation or out and about.
I want a digital camera with a zoom lens > 3x, good picture quality and some manual controls.
I want to print some of the pics (primarily 4x6 & 5x7....maybe a 8x10") I take using online photoshops like ofoto or Snapfish.
I also want to spend less than $400.

I've read many reviews about this camera and have a few questions about the negative comments that I've come across.
1. The image in the viewfinder and LCD shows only 90% of the actual pix. Is this a real problem ?
2. The picture quality is bad (CNet)? I've seen sample pics on this website and they look fine to me. Have you experienced picture qualiy issues.

One last thing: I read someplace that DigCam prices for existing models will drop in March/April due to new releases. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!
Troy
tdbcalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 5:16 PM   #2

My son has the S5000 and it produces very good shots. There are cameras that may produce better pics but the picture quality of the S5000 is still very good.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:24 PM   #3

I am an amateur with no ambition for professional status.

SAME HERE

I primarily want to take pictures of my family(esp. my 18 month old son), friends and anything that catches my eye when on vacation or out and about.

THIS FITS IN MY JACKET POCKET WITH THE TUBE REMOVED

I want a digital camera with a zoom lens > 3x, good picture quality and some manual controls.

SOME OF MY LuCKY ZOOM SHOTS AT http://vnoxs5000.fotopic.net or http://www.vnox.net

I want to print some of the pics (primarily 4x6 & 5x7....maybe a 8x10") I take using online photoshops like ofoto or Snapfish.

Awesome print quality with 3 or 6 meg S5000. I use Fotopic.net for online pictures.

I also want to spend less than $400.

Got mine at $300 at www.buydig.com, awesome, this camera should be $500

I've read many reviews about this camera and have a few questions about the negative comments that I've come across.
1. The image in the viewfinder and LCD shows only 90% of the actual pix. Is this a real problem ?

Not for me, maybe get a wide angle lens?

2. The picture quality is bad (CNet)? I've seen sample pics on this website and they look fine to me. Have you experienced picture qualiy issues.

check the galleries at http://www.s5000.net

One last thing: I read someplace that DigCam prices for existing models will drop in March/April due to new releases. Is there any truth to this?

The answer for this one, "Tomorrow Never Dies" :lol:

good luck
thanks,
Vic
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:21 PM   #4

Default Vic & Gibson: Thx for Your Input

Thx for your input.
Cheers
tdbcalif is offline   Reply With Quote