Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:19 PM   #1

Default XS-1 settings??

Haven't been on here in a long time, and it looks like there hasn't been a lot of activity on here for a long time!!
After wanting one for a LOOOOOOOONG time (since they came out!) I finally ordered an XS-1 as a retirement present to myself!! (retiring from Florida to Maine next week!)
Forgot where to find most of the good info on this camera from long before... such as what the serial number break from the problem cameras to the corrected cameras was (I would assume all the problem cameras should be out of the supply chain by now- though my camera is coming from Wolf Camera via Amazon)- and recommended settings to run the camera at. Are the 'stickied' EXR setting recommendations good for the XS-1 also??? Just looking for a good starting point for outdoor/scenic use- of which I am planning on putting this camera to good use for!!
Thanks in advance-
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:45 AM   #2

The 'problem' cameras I believe were the ones with serial #s prior to 23xxxx. I think there was also a firmware update to correct the EXR mode highlights.
I don't seem to have saved the instructions for checking firmware, but they were on the Fuji website in the support section for updating the firmware.
The EXR high resolution mode is pretty good for landscape shots for the most part, but I use -1/3 EV to help prevent overexposure, and watch the histogram in the EVF. For most other things, I use A mode, and again,watch the histogram.
My biggest difficulty with the X-S1 is that there are too many modes and functions. I like to keep things simple and do my settings manually, so 90% of the things the camera can do are not used.
Just got a look at the review for the X-T1, and wish I could come up with the money for one. Have some other priorities to deal with now, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Brian. I agree with you- the XT-1 (which I just discovered myself) looks superb.
What appealed to me about the XS-1 is the build quality of the 'X' series- and the menu structure of Fuji's... just seems so easy to me. And I like the accessibility of the buttons to the left of the viewfinder for easy access to major functions.
The camera's supposed to get here tomorrow- anxious to hold it in my hands!! (Of course, no where to see one here in NE Florida! )
Was trying to remember some color offsets I'd seen for another Fuji camera- for touching up the color settings.... but can't find them.
Wes
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:21 PM   #4

Besides the usual color adjustments, Fuji also offers film simulation for Provia, which is standard, and Velvia, their slide film, for really punchy colors.
I usually shoot with everything standard, and PP as necessary.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:11 PM   #5

G'day Wes

I'm still shooting heaps of images with my X-s1 so I am happy to chat via PM with lots of little things if you wish

My camera is one of the early ones - with a 14xxx s/no - and Fuji Australia refuse to work on it for any 'warranty' issues except at my expense - even tho I have been writing here & elsewhere about its mis-behaving ever since I bought it [if you missed my review, pop into Steve's Knowledgebase and read it]

To me it's a great camera except for the one or two issues that need fixing
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:44 PM   #6

Hi, Phil-
Nice to hear from you again! Glad to see you're still hangin' out here. Sorry to hear of your troubles with your camera.
I'm moving to Maine next week, and looking forward to getting a lot of use from it up there!!
Wes
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:31 PM   #7

Hi Wes
Just saw your post as I don't show up here a lot anymore. I also have same camera and have been taking some deer photos this year of several that show up in my front yard. I have set my camera to the following:
EXR mode on dial
Menu settings-EXR auto, Resolution priority, ISO 800,STD film simulation, AF-C and spot metering.
I have my camera on a tripod using a wired shutter release and have gotten some good results.

How was the move?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:11 AM   #8

Hi, Nick- and all others-
Just getting settled down here in Winterport, Maine after a somewhat grueling move from Florida- and a couple of months renting an old farmhouse on 200 acres of land... a working farm... the lady who owns it raises horses, sheep and cattle... and rabbits... and Corgi's!
My user name has changed, as my former email address I registered under was my work address- and is no longer in existence after retiring!! Easiest way to fix- to re-register.
My former userID was Wes James... so when you now see MarTay6, that's me!!
Glad to be settled... have a beautiful cape cottage in Winterport, Maine now- we're just now getting to unpack dozens of boxes!! Very cold here right now, this morning was a low of 4 degrees. Working in a currently-unheated garage to build an island in the kitchen is limited to short working periods! Anxious to get settled and start enjoying the amazing beauty of Maine! I love it here!
Wes
MarTay6 is offline   Reply With Quote