Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 7, 2004, 2:23 AM   #1

Default s5000 and print size

I have an fujifilm s5000 digicam and I was wondering what the largest decent looking print I can get from it is? I know that for a 3MP camera, 8 inch x 10 inch is your typical limit, but what about with this camera's super ccd interpolated 6MP image? Obviously it doesn't provide as much detail as a true 6mp camera, but I assume it provides a tad more than a typical 3MP camera, so how large a print might I expect to be able to make?
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:14 AM   #2

More than 3 people have reported very good quality A3 prints.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:36 AM   #3

Default size

I had an 8 x10 developed at walmart from my s5000's card. i was really surprized at the quality of the picture, looked darn good. i don't understand all those "A" sizes, etc.
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4

Default Re: s5000 and print size

Quote:
Robotnik"]I have an fujifilm s5000 digicam and I was wondering what the largest decent looking print I can get from it is? I know that for a 3MP camera, 8 inch x 10 inch is your typical limit, but what about with this camera's super ccd interpolated 6MP image?
The S5000 has never measured higher resolution then a standard 3MP camera, to my knowledge. I suspect the lens is providing this limitation. In my comparisions of controlled shots of precise same scene framed within 2 percent tolerances, and using the RAW output from both, I found the S5000 to have very close the same resolution as a Canon S30 in direct comparision. Same as the resoluton measurements I previously was aware of predicted.

Here are the TIFs from RAW files for your review. Note that these are full size TIFF files. 19MB(S30) and 35MB(S5000).

http://www.linaeum.com/~fer/s30test1.tif

http://www.linaeum.com/~fer/s5000test1.tif

Quote:
Obviously it doesn't provide as much detail as a true 6mp camera, but I assume it provides a tad more than a typical 3MP camera, so how large a print might I expect to be able to make?
Same resolution as other 3MP cameras, on average. However, the limits to enlargeents are a matter of several important factors:

(1) Post processing techniques

(2) Viewing distance

(3) Lighting in display environment

(4) Subject

(5) Veiwer preferences

With this many variables, it's just not possible to provide a straightforward answer. The most important thing when dealilng with 3MP images being enlarged is to use the camera in RAW or 6MP JPEG with sharpening set to SOFT mode. This way, you have more flexibility/control in post processing.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:54 PM   #5

Ive made exceptional 12x18s from mu s5000, but i am using a qd-21 digital lab and ra-4 type paper
echrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:56 PM   #6

I have the older Fuji S602Z, 3mp camera that interpolates to 6mp pics.

For all the tests I've done, I've found that the 3mp setting gives the best results. I haven't printed anything larger that an 8 x 10 because I don't have the capability, but I'm sure you can get a decent 10 x 13 out of your camera.
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote