Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 8, 2004, 3:16 AM   #1

Default Fujifilm S5000 or Kodak 6490

Hi everybody.

This is my first post and it is for asking you all about my upcoming purchase. Having read the topic title you will surely know which cameras am I thinking about.

I'm just a point-and-shot photographer (this word seems too big for me ) wanting to learn how to make photos like those posted here, so certain manual operability is required, that?s why I decided to have these cameras as reference.

So Which one do you think is the best buy? DX6490 or S5000?

You will find this post in the Kodak forum too, so if you are interested in what Kodak users think about, visit it
KrustY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:44 PM   #2
hst

Default Both Good

Both are good cameras. The Kodak is a 4MP and the Fuji is a 3MP so you do get one more MP with the Kodak. The Fuji however is going to give you more manual controls and also offers a RAW capture mode which Kodak Lacks. If you take a close look at the Kodak sample pictures you can see some of the details are somewhat blow out in areas but as long as you don't do a lot of cropping and don't print very large prints you probably would never notice the highlights missing. The Fuji also uses typical AA batteries which is a plus and the latest XD memory card which is very fast.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:29 AM   #3

www.s5000.net if you want to see other S5000 users's opinion about this. Aparently, they had the same problem before buying it
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:37 AM   #4

I have a friend that has the Kodak. We discuss our camera settings and many times I hear him say, "My camera does not have that". Go for the fuji.....you will not be sorry in the least.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 9:45 PM   #5

I had the same problem, except it was the s7000, in stead of the s5000.
My previous (actually current since the new camera has not arrived yet) camera was a Kodak DX3600. I've been very happy with it, taking over 3000 pictures in the past two years. I found that I wanted more zoom, and more pixels. I looked at the s5000, but it wasn't enough of a pixel boost for me, so I moved to the s7000. With the s7000 having smaller zoom then the 6490, and the smaller physical size of the 6490, the Kodak had a pretty good lead. However there were two problems for me with the Kodak.

Going from 2.2 to 4MP isn't a big jump. It's an improvement, but I was hoping for at least 5MP.

Kodak had a brain fart and dropped the compact flash slot. With two previous Kodak cameras that took CF, I've got a half dozen of those suckers laying around, plus two CF readers.

In the end I settled on the 7000. Not for the added features, although I'm looking forward to playing with them, but for the larger pixel count and the CF support.

If you are not already invested in a media format, or it's one of, or your first camera, then I would suggest the Kodak. It's simple and takes good pictures (not to mention that it takes pictures at the same size as a 4x6 print, which for me is a bonus). However if you already own a digicam and want a little more control, and a few features that Kodak won't offer you, then go with the Fuji.

Hope that helps.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 6:34 PM   #6

In a heartbeat the DX6490, not just because I own one but, because the image quality is better. The first thing about the S5000 I didn't like was the ISO only went down to 200 whereas the DX6490 goes down to 80 ISO. The 3 to 4MP did not matter to me as the difference is minimal.

Lense adaptors would be nice but realistically with a current range of 38mm to 380mm I really don't need anything beyond that.

If the DX6490 was not around I'd get an Oly C-750 before a S5000 as it is closer to the image quality of the DX6490.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 4:18 PM   #7

6490 is more of a point and shoot camera. It lacks many of the features the S5000 offers. I have used both and the Fuji's pictures are far superior. :P
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:17 PM   #8

I partly agree with you Goofas, the S5000 does indeed have more "features" than the DX6490. However, the DX6490 has less noise than the S5000 and overall better capture quality.

When I compared the Oly C-750, Fuji S5000 and the Kodak DX6490 about 4 months ago I chose the latter. Not because of the features but, because of the image quality, to me that is what counts the most. I was suprised to find that the DX6490 equaled the Nikon 5700 I use to have (which a year before was twice the price of the DX6490 is now!).

Even now, 4 months later with a couple of new 10x cameras on the block I'd make the same conclusion and buy the DX6490.
-
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:55 PM   #9

I doubt you can top these 2 pictures with your kodak.......

Proof is in the pudding! ops:
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:37 PM   #10

If you want to see example of just some of my work go to my PBase site below. It's a mix from my DX6490 and CP5700, each photo has the camera name/model under it.
-