Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:01 PM   #21
hst

Default Pookie what planet are you from

Pookie not to be argumentative but your missing the point totally. The S7000 camera is a great camera right out of the box. I have taken and resampled the 12MP Fine images to 8MP to compair them to the new 8MP cameras and they really compete well. Not bad for a 6MP Camera. However as with any technology there is alway room for improvement. I don't know of a perfect camera out there yet. One of the greatest technologies today is Flash. A main benefit of flash is that a company can release a product and then once they learn more what consumers are wanting, they can change the internal settings without having to replace componants in the camera. One of the shortcoming of the S7000 is that at the 6MP setting it doesn't have a fine setting. A simple change in the flash could change the compression setting and improve the image quality at the 6MP setting.
Word Picture: how many companies and individuals use Microsoft Office. They don't stop using it because they have a issue with it, they work with Microsoft for a patch or improvement to make the software what they need it do be.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:46 PM   #22

I understand the use of flash updates quite well.
The point is very simple to follow though:
Fuji doesn't supply flash updates, never has, probably won't for quite some time, if ever for that matter.
The people on this post want to "demand" Fuji do something that they don't do, supply a flash update. When you look at the number of units Fuji sells, and the, forgive me "trivial" number of people demanding such a fix, the economics are simple...
As to those "demanding" a fix, these people clearly were aware of Fuji's refusal to supply flash updates prior to their purchases for previous cameras, and now after buying (knowingly) what they consider a flawed product, they expect a fix.
The question still is, why buy a camera from a company that, as they state, ignores the customers demands?
There are many comparable cameras available from other companies, simply buy a different brand that supports your needs, and there is no problem. Moaning "after the fact" is a rather pointless. If I buy a car that constantly stalls, I won't buy their next model, knowing they didn't fix it.
We could also get into the question of simply shooting 12MP F, or RAW, and again, there is no problem.
Sorry but this "problem" is never going to receive any attention from Fuji, it's easily avoided in 12MP F or RAW and unimportant to the vast majority of customers that Fuji sells to.

"Anyone want to petition Fuji for firmware updates?"... find a better use for your energy.
pookiepookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:33 PM   #23

Default Flash update

The fact is, Fuji has issued flash updates. They added pictbridge support to the F700 in Japan and Europe. That is firmware version 3.0.

why they updated that and didn't address other issues is a mystery to me.

My personal thoughts on the matter, i will not buy from Fuji USA again unless they support existing users better.

There are other companies that are issuing firmware upgrades and actively soliciting inputs from their customers and listening to feedback. These companies will get my money in the future.

However, providing feedback, positive or negative is a way to change a situation.

Wasting your time telling someone they are wasting their time trying to submit a petition seems very ironic.

Charge ahead!

David
purdyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:39 PM   #24

First, pookiepookie, Fuji has offered firmware updates that upgrade a cameras functionality, see here:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...story_649.html)

Second, nobody is "demanding" anything. A firmware update is a reasonable request to correct problems or support features not available at the time the initial product was realeased (like Toshiba upgrading smartmedia camera firmwares to support 128meg cards, something I'd like to see Fuji do to allow the S2, S7000 and S602 to use 4Gig Microdrives and FAT32.)

Third, if you buy a car that constantly stalls there is a LEMON LAW which allows you to MAKE THE MANUFACTURER FIX, REPLACE IT OR REFUND YOUR MONEY (at least in the United States.) I got 2 new cars from Chrysler by "demanding" as you might put it, they make good on my purchase.

And while I am on the subject, I am only trying to help all interested parties to get more out of a product they purchased or are going to purchase. If Fuji releases a firmware update by all means I think pookiepookie, you should not download and apply it to your camera because according to your posts we/you are essentially not entitled to it!

This is as you pointed out a "forum." It is a place for sharing ideas for the betterment of all who partake of it. Since you seem to have such little regard for other peoples opinions and ideas maybe a "forum" is not the place for you?
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:36 AM   #25
hst

Default I hated to read the artical on the firmware update

It seems like the firmware update required you to send the camera back to Fuji. One more reason to believe it may not be Flash type memory which would have only involved a download on the internet. I am begining to believe the memory isn't flash upgradable.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:05 AM   #26

Change is hard to come by, and it takes time. So if it take 1,2,10,100 petitions for Fuji to see the err in their ways well count me in. Somebody has to push for a change if no one does then there wont be a change. Count me in.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:29 AM   #27

Quote:
It seems like the firmware update required you to send the camera back to Fuji. One more reason to believe it may not be Flash type memory which would have only involved a download on the internet. I am begining to believe the memory isn't flash upgradable
NOTE: As pointed out previously (with tech info) - The Firmware is entirely in Flash and 100% uploadable, via a service program and USB port. It's also POR uploadable via the SM card. IT IS NOT necessary to send it back to Fuji to be uploaded, that's just a "company policy" decision, NOTHING else. The Firmware is contracted out, using DigitalRiver RTOS, and once it's signed off, it's too much trouble to bother with updates. Unless, of course, some bean-counter decides it's worth BIG clams - as per Pictbridge example. Unfortunately until a LOT of people "rebel" against this type of business attitude, it will NEVER get better, and can only get worse.
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:14 PM   #28

I just start to use this camera , and thing im missing is

- visual control of manual focus position on EVF or LCD

- programmable set up for memory options , for instance :
picture mode xd preferance
movie mode microdrive
DONCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:30 PM   #29

I still haven't read any reasons why you buy these "defective" Fuji cameras, since you all seem so aware of Fuji's refusal to supply the "flash fix" you seem to think you need before you can use your cameras.

Sounds more like an excuse...."well if they gave us a flash update I'd finally be able to take some good pictures".

Sorry boys, shoot RAW, shoot 12MP F, and you have no problems.
pookiepookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:23 PM   #30

Default Enough is enough

Quote:
I still haven't read any reasons why you buy these "defective" Fuji cameras, since you all seem so aware of Fuji's refusal to supply the "flash fix" you seem to think you need before you can use your cameras
Mate, give it a rest, we've heard your opinion enough. Thank you, call again. This thread is for users interested in advising Fuji of limitations and functions we feel are "lacking". It's called customer "feedback", and believe it or not, manufacturers DO take it into consideration. Sometimes they EVEN change their policy .. SHOCK. No offense but If you don't have ANYTHING positive to add here, please start your own thread, AND btw, we DO NOT have to answer to you, as you seem to demand.
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote