Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 21, 2004, 3:37 PM   #41

[quote="johnimage"]Firstly...

1) I'm still for petitioning FUJI for a firmware update to address some quirks of the s7000.
2) Since the s7000 is a 12MP native-mode camera, can we avoid concentrating so much on its 6MP output. I certainly do not want to campaign them to concentrate on the 6MP quality.
3) If we talk about noise, can we better define what it looks like?
(I'm not really sure what to look for. I just see great PICs)

Compression tends to reduce noise.

Sharpening, tends to increase noise.

Contrast can increase noise

Saturation can increase noise.

Fuji has done a lot on the S7000 to bring out the most detail from the camera. And they have done a good job at that.

So, if you want to petition Fuji to reduce noise, you might ask for some more settings to adjust the above parameters.

I think they have been very sensitive about the noise issue but have decided they like where they are. I think that is fine as a default but not every shot requires counting eyelashes on someones face and so producing and image that might have a little less detail but with less noise might be nice.

Of course you can alway post process filter

Raw is what raw is, as i think has been pointed out, 6 million sensors.

David
purdyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:55 PM   #42

:roll:
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:22 PM   #43

Ross, do you mean the CMOS chip in the camera will go faulty prematurely (to quote the Ghostbusters "...that would be very bad...?) I understand it is not a professional digital SLR like the S2 but if in your opinion as an authority on camera design and repair you believe it to be of questionable reliability, that is more disturbing than issues of image quality.
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:38 PM   #44
hst

Default purdyd the S7000 native mode is actually 6MP

If you go to the Fuji site you will see that the cameras native is actually 6MP. The 12MP is interpol to increase the recorded MP to 12.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:10 PM   #45

Hi All,

I support divedr opinion.
I am a new in this forum, but I get trough all messages about s7000 digital camera. First I had a s5000 but I returned to the store after seven days because of low image "quality". Finally I bought a s7000 camera. With more than 25 year experience in photography, I consider this s7000 camera very good but probably the high compression, influence the quality of the final picture. The problem is more delicate than appeared to be. This issue come from variety of reasons (high ISO, shaking, image composition etc). There are well known that different pictures look different at same compression. This is due to the mechanism of the jpeg compression. But all the revivers find the problem of the "noise image".
From my opinion, there is a welcome for a petition regardless what some folks consider. They are statistically insignificant. The problem is more complicated if we look from business point of view. I know that the Fuji engineer team tray to do the best, but sometimes the business rules cans interferes with them. There are different categories of digital cameras, from simple ones to semi professional up to professional. There are some overlaps of the capabilities of this camera. As an example if the overlap is consistent the camera will be a "best seller". A typical case is the Canon G3.
My opinion is that s7000 can do much more that actually does (not talking about hardware). The limitation is just business. The software update (firmware) can solve the problem for what a lot of people complain. The question remaining: what will be the benefit of the firmware of Fuji marketing.
The petition "pressure" will probably determine Fuji to analyse the benefit. If they decide that they get more money living the facts as is, than no chance. We will stay with this "bug". Is like softwares that have good features but the fields where you can change the properties are grey (you can’t change it). The future will not be for that companies how’s software (firmware) will not take out the maximum from the hardware. Maybe in the future, we will pay also for better firmware? ..... not only philosophy.
At the end: Can anybody, interested in firmware update, setup a database where we can collect people for the petition? I think that if there are easy way, there will be not only a couple of hundreds of user.

Any opinions?
Geenworld
geenworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:55 AM   #46

This is probably the best way to go. If anyone knows a way to get a database started that would be a good first step. When we have numbers we can send the letter. We should also think about what we ask for compression, noise, ISO, etc...
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:00 PM   #47

:?:
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:54 PM   #48

These people prefer their "chicken little the sky is falling, how can I possibly be expected to shoot anything until this is fixed" moaning.

They are oblivious to just what Fuji are likely to do for a $500.00 +- camera.
pookiepookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:34 PM   #49

:?:
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:42 PM   #50

Saying "I work in camera repair and know what I am talking" on the internet is the same as proclaming "I am the King of Swaziland", there is very little likelyhood of either.
pookiepookie is offline   Reply With Quote