Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:07 PM   #51

Default For Ross

Ross,

I don't understand, in your previous post were you saying the sCCD in the S7000 is flawed or the CMOS (as I understand CMOS, it is a BIOS or firmware chip) in the S7000 is flawed. I am not a technician, could you please elaborate.

The other thing does the S7000 have a flashable EPROM or not. If not then there is no chance of a firmware flash is there? If you know something we don't, please give us the benefit of your experience. If we are stuck with what we have please explain why let us know. And what of this new S7000 at the years end? Will it be an S7000 Zoom or what?
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:55 PM   #52

Default Again for Ross...

I did some reading. I thought all digicams were CCD, now I understand CMOS vs CCD and your comment re: CMOS error factor. But please if you can elaborate on the other questions I asked.

Thanks! ops:
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:22 PM   #53

Default to divedr et al

Mate, I don't know why things have gone SO FAR off the rails here, but I need to correct some VERY BAD statements that have been made.
1/ Even though CCD is the mainstream technology used , CANON has some VERY high quality CMOS cameras. There are also a LOT of CMOS sensors used in low res industrial equipment. The ONLY reason it's NOT more popular is because it's newer (digicams) and patents are hindering oopposition. In REAL life, both have pros and cons BUT produce similar quality. Anyone who tells you different is sniffing glue.
2/ The CCD in the S7000 is NOT flawed, in fact it is a DERN good sensor. Fuji have really got that right.
3/ ALL Fuji's and ALL Camera's are Firmware uploadable.. PERIOD! Fuji do not chose to make it available. Fuji's can be uploaded via the USB or "boot loaded" via the SM card. As a R+D engineer, I have the service program and the Firmware. I can't give it out, besides it's of no use to anyone. Don't expect that it could be "cracked", things are NOT that simple.
4/ Fuji will ALWAYS be releasing new cameras, so it wouldn't take a genius to predict that. Anyone who tells you they know more than 1 week ahead is now sniffing paint thinners. Release info is tighter than lotto numbers :-)
If you would like to see inside the S7000 (exactly the same as the S602) goto my site at www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html
I'm also starting on the Nikon CP5700 at www.digsys.com.au/n5700/n5700.html
PS: I'm voting for Ross to take over as Iraq's Information minister :-)
EOT
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 5:40 PM   #54

Kirky, that's hilarious. I had to sign up just to say that.
BigWaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:41 PM   #55

Default comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaveDave
Kirky, that's hilarious. I had to sign up just to say that.
LOL thanks :-)
Like I always say - If we can only reach out and touch just one person, that's 2 more lawyers that'll be truly grateful.
JKirk
PS: I've signed on a new tech, Mongo. I gave him the job of doing a dis-assembly analysis on the Fuji S6900. It's at www.digsys.com.au/s6900/s6900.html
He's a bit rough but fast and cheap. And I'd say hi .. not good to pi$$ him off.
Also out of interest, I've a Nikon 5700 in for repair. IF you were ever thinking of buying one, Some shock photos at - www.digsys.com.au/n5700/n5700.html
Don't think I'll let Mongo touch that one though :-)
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:22 PM   #56

Thanks for the info jkirk
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:07 AM   #57

Default Noise

I have been playing around with this camera for weeks. I have found in all the shots I take and the samples on the web there is tremendous noise in images with blue skies. The skies are dotted with square artifacts or noise which is sometimes visible in an 8.5x11 print. The deeper the blue of the sky the more noticeable the noise.

With other compositions there is no noise at all. This blue sky phenomena is present at all settings (soft, 6MP, 12MP norm, 12MP fine and RAW etc...) If you post process with Photoshop CS and Neat Image or a similar filter you can get an image that rivals a digital SLR such as the Canon 100D, Fuji S2 or Nikon D100.

There is one other thing, the color balance is very "red shifted." This also needs to be corrected with post processing in order to get a good print.

There are lots of opinions circulating around numerous forums as to what causes these artifacts. Whatever the cause I would like to see a firmware update that addresses this problem. I don't think it is beyond the scope of possibility for Fuji to do this. If others think likewise or can shed some light on the problem please post. This camera is very good but with a little tweak from Fuji I think it could be great.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:54 AM   #58

Default Re: Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedr
[...]
With other compositions there is no noise at all. This blue sky phenomena is present at all settings (soft, 6MP, 12MP norm, 12MP fine and RAW etc...) If you post process with Photoshop CS and Neat Image or a similar filter you can get an image that rivals a digital SLR such as the Canon 100D, Fuji S2 or Nikon D100.
With all do respect, I think you might have exaggerated a little bit there After all, if it's that good, people will stop buying DSLRs for S7000.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:45 AM   #59
hst

Default I don't think he exaggerated

Actually I have taken some shots I think are about what you would expect with a DSLR. Of course a DSLR does do better at a higher ISO.

I think it really just depends on what your wanting the camera for. When I was looking at cameras I could have bought a DSLR however I like Prosumer cameras for several reasons. I like the fact that you can use the LCD to compose your image. I like that you can take decent video clips with the newer Prosumer models. I wanted a camera I could carry around without a lot of extra lenses and accessories. Other members of my family also take pictures from time to time so I needed something that wouldn't intimidate them. The S7000 was the choice for ME. It takes very good images and the price is great especially when you consider the 100 rebate they have right now.

If however you are a Pro or a SLR enthusiast or are getting paid to shoot photos a DSLR is the way to go. I really dont imagine most people on this site really need the abilities of the DSLR. Most probably have a printer capable of 8 1/2 x 11 printing. Most will probably not be shooting in extremely low light without a flash. I think that is the most exciting thing about the way the industry is heading. There are so many great choices to meet a variety of different expectations. From the PRO or want to be PRO all the way down to me.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:49 PM   #60

Default Let's move it

Hey guys, I agree, enough of this talk, we all know what are the lows of this camera. I don't think that there is a need to try to tell them (FUJI) how to fix it - all we need to do is include the list of most CRITICAL/Immediate changes that need to be made and emphasize the importance of the change (beating the competition). I do agree that the letter needs to be written very professionally with some good verbiage to show that requestors/users are not kids.
Also, is anyone looking for an online database (like Access) where we can start collecting the names? I think we need to get this rolling.
I suggest we share this with DPreview folks as well. I am sure that we can get a few hundred supporters easy. Lets go for it.
fujifan is offline   Reply With Quote