Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:02 PM   #1

Default Anyone want to petition Fuji for firmware updates?

I have a few Fuji FinePix cameras the latest and greatest is the S7000. There are two things I would like from Fuji:
  • 1: The ability to read RAW files directly from the CCD without 12.5Meg interpolation.
  • 2: Variable JPEG compression to eliminate the digital artifacts (the native compression is too high.)

I'm sure Fuji could do this with a firmware update on the S7000 and S5000 but I've never seen a firmware update from them in the past. What if we collectively petitioned them for this in writing (you know the old pen and ink way?) Any feedback from the forum masses? :roll:
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:45 AM   #2

It won't happen.

Try to take the best out of your camera. Fuji will not "upgrade" it via software. They will just make a new cam and put the new "options" there. :roll:
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:48 AM   #3
hst

Default May not be upgradable

I have written Fuji repeatedly asking if they use Flash on their cameras. They give me an evasive answer every time. I'm not sure they use Flash Chips. It may be a firmware chip that would have to be replaced. I have looked over their site and have never seen any firmware updates on any of their cameras. It would be great if they would do it but I think it may be futile to ask.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:09 PM   #4

"1: The ability to read RAW files directly from the CCD without 12.5Meg interpolation."

That's virtually impossible...unless you like viewing your pictures at a 45 degree angle. If you don't mind that, dcraw (a freeware converter) will do that for you.
drw766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:08 PM   #5

Now....not wanting to start a great debate, but....

When I bought my 7000, I did my research into it's specs, what it could and couldn't do, and understood what I was buying.

Apparently you chose to buy a camera that wasn't going to do what you wanted (easily found info), and now want Fuji to fix a non-problem.

If you wanted different features, why didn't you simply choose a camera from a company that has those features that you can't live without?

I don't remember a gun being held to my head when I bought mine.
pookiepookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:16 PM   #6

I'm gonna guess that they are not flash upgradeable.

My last camera (Kodak DX3600) had a battery drain problem that was fixed with a firmware flash. Quick, easy & painless. I'm guessing Fuji would have done the same with their s7000 battery drain problem if they could have...rather than pay for all that shipping & labor.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:46 PM   #7

Default Re: May not be upgradable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
I'm not sure they use Flash Chips. It may be a firmware chip that would have to be replaced. I have looked over their site and have never seen any firmware updates on any of their cameras. It would be great if they would do it but I think it may be futile to ask.
They, indeed, do use stanard flash updatable firmware storage it seems. In the fuji s5000 service manual does refer to this function and give step by step instruction in the diagnostics/adjustment software section.

Will Fuji EVER do it? I don't know . I think fuji's treatment of customers so far basicly makes them a bunch of jerks(that's holding back my true feelings).

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:37 PM   #8
hst

Default The battery issue couldn't have been resolved with Flash

The battery problem was one that probably couldn't have been addressed with a Flash update even if it is flash. I understand it actually was some componants that have to be replaced.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:58 PM   #9

Look it is not like Fuji has never done this before (see here http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...story_649.html) and I did research the camera extensively before I bought it. Overall I am satisfied with the camera but I think the main problem of image noise could be erradicated with variable JPEG compression. This could easily be done for both the S7000 and S5000. What I asked initially is if anyone would support a petition to Fuji for this. I did not ask who would not like to petition Fuji for this. If anyone is interested in making a great product that much better please let me know and collectively let's see what we can accomplish!
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:28 PM   #10

f-o-r-u-m...forum.

This is a forum, perhaps you need to refresh your understanding of the word.

Why exactly did you purchase from Fuji, if you were concerned about this "problem", apparently from past experience?

Why not post some of your best examples of this "problem", so we can see how this is effecting your shots?
pookiepookie is offline   Reply With Quote