Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:49 PM   #1

Default S7000 lens options

I've had my S7000 for a few weeks now and I would like to extend the range of the zoom. I have run into situations that having extra zoom would give better definition to a subject. For example photographing birds that spook when you get to close, or bringing the moon in closer to capture lunar features.

I am also interested in a wide angle lens, but have no set purpose yet. If I could get some opinions then I will be able to look without total ignorance on the subject.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:54 PM   #2

Well, Ihave the S5000 and soon the S7000, using the raynox DCR 720 (brings it to 27mm wide angle) and the DCR 1540 pro ( op's it up to 9.3 optical zoom). The Olympus Tcon 1.7 is supposently also a great 1.7 Tele adapter, but have no exp. myself. The raynox have a 52mm thread and the oly has 55mm. The picture quality is superb on the wide and the tele. Price for the tele is around 105.-US$ and for the wide it's 55.-.

Take a look at http://www.s5000.net./forums/yaBB/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Tom
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:08 AM   #3

Check this link for raynox lenses options. I bought a wide angle, tele-photo and protecting/polarize filters. Good and fast service.

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/
jmdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:49 PM   #4

I have had no luck with aftermarket lens adapters for the S7000, 3800 and other cameras I have. For the S7000 the Fuji 1.5 tele works well for up to 2/3 the zoom capability of the camera without adding an f value. Other lenses cause distortion, add f and vignette terribly, it's hit or miss. With the OEM you are assured of compatability. The Fuji 1.5x brings you to an effective 315mm, do you need more than that?
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:05 PM   #5

No, actually Saturday I went to Kit's Camera's and bought the exact lens that you are talking about. I still feel that I am about 10 feet short of where I want to be, but if I had a lens that could photograph a flea on a dogs back at 1 mile away I would still want more distance. ops: Poor me I'll just have to make due.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:34 PM   #6

MoonGypsy,

If you want more zoom, you're going to have to go for a digital SLR and zoom lens. This will quite probably cost a bundle more than the S7000, tele adapter, NiMH batteries and 2Gig Microdrive just for the camera body.

My advice, feed the birds, I do it all the time! They are lulled into a false sense of security. As they gorge themselves on grain, stand back and shoot, shoot, shoot! I promise they will be none the wiser and all the fatter for it (after all they are only birds... not too smart!)

Happy shooting!
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote