Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1

Default So I shoot at CCD RAW format in S7000...

Taking the advise of many experienced S7000 owners in this forum, I went ahead and used CCD RAW as my output format. I converted them via Photoshop CS patch, but lo & behold: the 240-pixel larger-than-paper-size images are "GRAINY" when viewed as "Actual Pixels." Is this normal? If so, what pixel-size should I reduce the image when I am ready to print it 4x6 photo-album-size? Do I need to sharpen the picture (to remove the GRAINY-EFFECT)? BTW, I compared my CCD RAW shot against the 12MF shot & I seem to get a SHARPER image with the 12MF format (when printed in 4x6 photo album size). Where do I get the CCD RAW output advantage....POSTER-SIZE?
toliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:22 AM   #2

Quote:
I seem to get a SHARPER image with the 12MF format (when printed in 4x6 photo album size). Where do I get the CCD RAW output advantage....POSTER-SIZE?
If CS is rendering the diagnol based CCD files from the S7000 the same way as it is rendering them from the F700, which is very likely, then Adobe just did not spend much time to understand the SCCD format. Try the Fuji raw convertor included with the camera; i bet you'll see much better results(in resolution) from the Fuji convertor compared to CS rendering of the RAW file.

Here is a cropped portion from a resoluton chart of the F700 CCD Raw as being rendered by CS and Fuji convertor:

-Chris[/img]
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 9:06 PM   #3
hst

Default Adobe did much better - examples

Here is an examples of resolution all 100% crops of greyscale chart:

Adobe:

Fuji Example:

As for noise to me the photoshop example did better.
Photoshop raw conversion:

Fuji raw conversion:

Now for the answer to your question. The images at 12MP are going to have noise because the sensor is a 6MP sensor. Your printer however will resample the 12MP images to fit your printed material so you don't have to do anthing as far as reducing the size unless your just curious on how it compares to its competing 5MP cameras on screen. If you do what to look at them on your screen just resize the 12MP image to something like 2560x1923 and look at it at 100% and look at some of the 5MP at 100% and compare the two.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:04 PM   #4

HST - It would be tough to judge noise, it appears the Fuji S7000 was set on NORMAL sharpen when the RAW file was cpatured. The Fuji LE convertor by default applies the level of sharpening set on the camera when the shot is taken, where as the Adobe RAW convertor would ignore this setting. Perhaps retake this shot with the S7000 set too SOFT sharpen in order to more closely equal the level of sharpening applied by the Adobe CS Raw convertor.

It woudl appear on this crop of your chart, that the two convetors are approximately equally effetive at resolution with the S7000. Could i see the full size files, with the full scale numbers of he converging lines visible?

-Chris
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:53 AM   #5
hst

Default The files are huge

One is 40MB and the other is 70MB. Do you have a high speed internet connection to load them from? They are both Tiff files. I can convert them to JPG but you will loose some of the details
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
One is 40MB and the other is 70MB. Do you have a high speed internet connection to load them from? They are both Tiff files. I can convert them to JPG but you will loose some of the details
I do have ADSL, but their is no reason for JPEG compression to cause any degradation that is visible if you use highest quality setting, such as 12 setting in PHotoshop, etc.

-Chris
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:19 PM   #7
hst

Default How would you like to see the Fuji processed in photoshop

By default photoshop uses the camera settings which includes a sharpeness increase of 25 and a noise decrease of 25. Do you want it with the defaults or without any of the sharpening or noise reduction applied?
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:28 PM   #8

Default Re: How would you like to see the Fuji processed in photosho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
By default photoshop uses the camera settings which includes a sharpeness increase of 25 and a noise decrease of 25. Do you want it with the defaults or without any of the sharpening or noise reduction applied?
Default settings are okay. If feasible, i would not mind seeing with noise and sharpening set to minimum, also.

-Chris
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:52 PM   #9
hst

Default Here is the RAW for photoshop at default

http://azpc.com/photoshopraw.jpg
I put the URL here so you can download it to your PC. It over 5MB.

Sorry it was a bit windy so the picuture blew a little when I was taking it but it is pretty clear.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 1:31 AM   #10

Default Re: Here is the RAW for photoshop at default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
http://azpc.com/photoshopraw.jpg
I put the URL here so you can download it to your PC. It over 5MB.

Sorry it was a bit windy so the picuture blew a little when I was taking it but it is pretty clear.
WHat is the soruce of this chart? Are those lines in standard l/pph format? I ask this because on both of your examples, extinction occurs at around what i presume to be 1600 l/pph mark on both examples(Adobe CS and Fuji convertor). In standard resolutoin tests using convergance charts such as at imaging-resource, the fuji nears 2000 l/pph extinction point. I am wondering the discrpancy. Were these shot at wide angle? Zoom? Precise focal length and aperature? The EXIF data was not present on the image you provided so I must ask.

Thanks.

-Chris