Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Will my next camera be a Fuji

In looking at Steveís review of the new S20 Pro it appears Fuji is heading in the wrong direction with their Super CCD SR technology. Donít you think itís time for Fuji to take a long look at this concept before producing more cameraís that arenít meeting the grade when it comes to picture quality? I use an S602 and I only shoot at the 3 MP setting because I donít feel I get any better ďPrintĒ quality at the 6MP interpolated resolution. I do like the design and features of my S602 and I do get great pictures from this camera. ButÖ.. will my next camera be a Fuji. Not if something isnít changed in this design.

AnywayÖ.. My Two Cents Worth :?
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2

Default Re: Will my next camera be a Fuji

Quote:
In looking at Steveís review of the new S20 Pro it appears Fuji is heading in the wrong direction with their Super CCD SR technology.
I guess it depends; they are trying to improve general expsosure quality instead of simply attemptiong to increase raw resolution in this case. Using RAW mode, this camera has no other match other then another Fuji SR sensor camera in dynamic ability.

Quote:
Donít you think itís time for Fuji to take a long look at this concept before producing more cameraís that arenít meeting the grade when it comes to picture quality?
You would have to define what you mean by quality, precisely. The resoluton of a s602, for example, is adequate for photographioc quality images on 8x10 prints with proper post processing. I expect the S20 has the same or slightly better(because of RAW ability) resolution. If you are printing to significantly larger sizes then perhaps you would be better servied with higher resolution. The S7000 is the Fuji answer to highe resolution then the S602, if you need it.

Quote:
I use an S602 and I only shoot at the 3 MP setting because I donít feel I get any better ďPrintĒ quality at the 6MP interpolated resolution.
I can't say what you feel. But I can say what is fact: the 6MP output produces higher resolution. THis is and has been measured consistantly and found to be true.

Quote:
I do like the design and features of my S602 and I do get great pictures from this camera. ButÖ.. will my next camera be a Fuji. Not if something isnít changed in this design.
You must not like the S7000. I like it for the most part(it's a great value at current rebated price), but I do have issues, especially with the failure to allow 6MP Fine JPEG. I have no use in most any case for the added resoluiton of 12MP Fine. I don't often print 16x20.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 3:57 PM   #3

I feel the same way as rritter here, and I own a Fuji S5000.

I'm trying to buy a bigger brother for my S5k (don't get me wrong, I really like this camera), and I've nailed my options to the following three:
- Fuji S7000
- Minolta A1
- Nikon D70

Of course, the last option would be the best, but also the most expensive. So it probably comes down to the first two. Will I buy the 1/1.7" 6/12MP Fuji or the 2/3" 5MP Minolta? I really don't know, but I don't like the direction Fuji is taking with their prosumers $900+ on a camera with 3MP resolution, improved dynamic range only with RAW files after tweaking the heck out of them... not good.

I'm not sure what to think. In a way, I'm a Fujifan, in another way, I dislike the SCCDs.. I would like to see some cleaner images too, probably ISO 50, because I shoot in bright light 90% of the time... so a bit sick of always hearing "ISO 200 at Fuji is the cleanest of them" when maybe I don't need ISO 200 that much (rethorical question .
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:12 PM   #4

If you bear in mind that it's truly only a 3mp camera I think it stacks up well against other 3mp cameras. I also think Fuji has come a long way with the SuperCCD. I have an S1 Pro that is only a 3mp sensor. It has a lot of noise and it can't pick up detail in shadows very well so the pictures can turn out a bit too contrasty. The S2 Pro is so much cleaner and sharper. Besides the resolution, it goes down to ISO 100 instead of 320 and does a lot better in shadows. I've seen pictures from the newest SCCD SR and I cant wait till they get the S3 out.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:16 PM   #5

Yes, but a 3MP at $900? :roll:

I have no doubt that the S3 will be a success. But then again, is there any DSLR that isn't?
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:45 AM   #6

Hi veedee,
Too often we all get caught up in the ? for x$. What works best for me is to find the model/maufacturer that does what I want it to do regardless of the designation. If a 3MP camera does what I want it to and the results look good, why should I care that it is "only" 3MP? Should I instead buy a 12MP that does not get the results I want simply because it has more MP for the dollar? IMHO, results and not the labels attached should be the deciding factor.
Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 8:18 PM   #7

Default Why not Fuji?

:roll:
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote