Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1

Default s7000 CF Card corruption Problem

I'm experiencing a problem with my s7000 or the Dane-Elec 512MB CF. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced the same. I have lost a bunch of PICs on two (out of many) cases when I removed the CF to upload a batch of PICs/clips into my PC. In both cases, the PC's (SanDisk) card reader displayed absolutely no files. However the (Win2k) drive-properties indicated that about 200MB of used space exists. I tried a freeware file-recovery utility but that was unable to turn the 200 Mbytes into the PICs I took. ....An in-camera FORMAT corrects the problem (albeit losing those PICs) and the card seems to work perfectly fine.

Any clue?
johnimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:32 AM   #2

Sounds like a card->camera->PC problem. The in camera format is FAT16, NT, 2000 and XP use NTFS or at least FAT32 formats. Could be related to this. Can you transfer from Camera USB to PC with this card? If you can the problem is probably with the PC card reader and not the CF card itself. I usually use the camera USB->PC interface because USB 2.0 is very fast and there are no compatability issues.

Try to see if there are updated drivers for your reader on the SanDisk website, that might solve the problem. Sometimes readers will "force" a medium if they don't "understand" it's format causing corruption. This sounds like the case because the card works when formatted in-camera.

For overall compatability the Hitachi microdrives seem to be the best media in the CF II lineup, personally I like the XD cards. The XD cards are very fast and physically sturdy. The 512MB variety of XD media are able to hold lots of images (38 RAW files or hundreds of JPEGS in an S7000.) You can get a 512MB XD for as little as $129.50 USD online. If you want size try the 2GB Hitachi MicroDisk (but it's not as fast as XD media.) Either way you might have a problem with your SanDisk reader! You might want to consider migrating to WinXP Pro, it may solve many problems (only to introduce others, but that is the way of Micr*s?ft.)

Good Luck!
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:34 AM   #3

Sounds like a card->camera->PC problem. The in camera format is FAT16, NT, 2000 and XP use NTFS or at least FAT32 formats. Could be related to this. Can you transfer from Camera USB to PC with this card? If you can the problem is probably with the PC card reader and not the CF card itself. I usually use the camera USB->PC interface because USB 2.0 is very fast and there are no compatability issues.

Try to see if there are updated drivers for your reader on the SanDisk website, that might solve the problem. Sometimes readers will "force" a medium if they don't "understand" it's format causing corruption. This sounds like the case because the card works when formatted in-camera.

For overall compatability the Hitachi microdrives seem to be the best media in the CF II lineup, personally I like the XD cards. The XD cards are very fast and physically sturdy. The 512MB variety of XD media are able to hold lots of images (38 RAW files or hundreds of JPEGS in an S7000.) You can get a 512MB XD for as little as $129.50 USD online. If you want size try the 2GB Hitachi MicroDisk (but it's not as fast as XD media.) Either way you might have a problem with your SanDisk reader! You might want to consider migrating to WinXP Pro, it may solve many problems (only to introduce others, but that is the way of Micr*s?ft.)

Good Luck!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:34 AM   #4

Good Luck!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:12 PM   #5
hst

Default Open the card in windows

Make sure your folder settings are for "show all files" including hidden files. Go into windows explorer on your PC and right click on the drive. Choose the "format" option. Then select FAT for the type of format and format the card. After that take the card and place it back in the camera. It should be like a new card. Set the camera to setup with the dial and then turn the camera on and format the card with your camera. Also be sure after you take your pictures that the light is off on the CF right indicator before you remove the card. Don't remove the card when the camera is turned on or the files could get corrupted.

Hope that helps!
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:26 PM   #6

Default Thanks

I think ther may be a chance of operator error (maybe too quick to open door to remove CF.) I updated the driver from sandisk but, now noticed the same problem with a smart medai card.

Guess I'm gonna use the camera connection untill I replace the SanDisk.
johnimage is offline   Reply With Quote