Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:47 PM   #1

Default Write time for RAW mode

My S7000 just shipped this morning. I ordered a 2GB Hitachi Microdrive along with it (I already had a 256 MB xD card).

My goal is to store serious 12MP photos on the Microdrive, in RAW mode, and 6MP pics on the xD card.

I still have several questions that I couldn't find direct answers to online...

1) What will my shot-to-shot delay be for each of these modes?

2) What is the highest resolution which supports the 5-shot burst?

3) Can the burst mode be stored to Microdrive, or is it too slow?

4) Can the higher res movies be written directly to Microdrive, or just the Xd card?

5) For the RAW 12MP mode, what settings do you recommend?

6) For the 6MP mode, what settings do you recommend?

I'm sure I'll do my fair share of experimenting, but I'd like to hear what the power users think first.

Thanks!
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:44 PM   #2
hst

Default A few answers

1) What will my shot-to-shot delay be for each of these modes?
Almost none. I have shot picture after picture including RAW and haven't noticed any delay.

2) What is the highest resolution which supports the 5-shot burst?
Any resolution will work including 12MP Fine

3) Can the burst mode be stored to Microdrive, or is it too slow?
Actually the microdrive is very fast compared to some CF cards and it will have no problems at all.

4) Can the higher res movies be written directly to Microdrive, or just the Xd card?
Yes, it will record directly to a microdrive at full resolution without any problem at all.

5) For the RAW 12MP mode, what settings do you recommend?
A lot of people like the RAW mode but I almost always shoot the 12MP Fine. It gives great results and I don't have to go in and convert and work with each image.

6) For the 6MP mode, what settings do you recommend?
Personnally I never use it because of the noise at the normal 6MP setting. The images do look good when printed however if you get a great shot you want to do quite a bit of cropping on, you find the noise begins to appear in printed images. It just uses too high of a compression ratio.

I'm sure I'll do my fair share of experimenting, but I'd like to hear what the power users think first.

I have a lot of fun with the camera and get very good shots. The scene modes work well (action, portrait etc). I have tried using the manual features and also it gives me very good results. You hear a lot of complaints about only going to ISO 200 and not down to ISO 50 or 100. However the images are comparable to the cameras that go down that far and when you take a look at the others at ISO 200, the Fuji has much less noise than most unless your looking at a DSLR. Its not a Pro Camera but a very good consumer camera with room to grow.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:28 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the answers.

I'm looking forward to the camera even more now.
brianfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:46 PM   #4

Default Re: A few answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
...You hear a lot of complaints about only going to ISO 200 and not down to ISO 50 or 100. However the images are comparable to the cameras that go down that far and when you take a look at the others at ISO 200, the Fuji has much less noise than most unless your looking at a DSLR. Its not a Pro Camera but a very good consumer camera with room to grow.
I own the S602Z and I too agree with your statement regarding ISO. I've compared several of the photos in the camera review section, and many other cameras start to show high noise levels at 400, while the FinePix show low noise levels!!!
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:17 PM   #5

I read this on other forums and had to check it out myself and I agree with this statement:

Shooting @ 12MP Normal produces better pictures than shooting @ 12MP Fine becaue of the butchery the compression and sharpening does to the Fine.. weird but true, u gotta try it yourself

And you get more pictures on a card..

p.s. I love shooting RAW on the Microdrive.. the s7000 has a buffer that writes while still taking pics.. the only thing I ever have to wait on in the flash to recycle..

-e
ericmorin is offline   Reply With Quote