Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 20, 2004, 3:10 AM   #1

Default s5000 vs s3000 decision - HELP ME!

Looking at buying a camera and I think I've narrowed it down to a Fuji Finepix... I was originally very keen on the S5000 which I can pick up for $599 (AUS$) but I've just spotted the S3000 for $399...

I was thinking for $200 I could sacrifice the 10x optical zoom (the s3000 has only got 6x) but what else would I be sacrificing??
hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:40 AM   #2

Default Re: s5000 vs s3000 decision - HELP ME!

Quote:
I was thinking for $200 I could sacrifice the 10x optical zoom (the s3000 has only got 6x) but what else would I be sacrificing
Mainly, you would be sacrificing the hi ISO capability of the S5000. The S5000 featurs very low image noise for a small digicam at ISO 400. I don't believe the S3000 even has an ISO400, or ISO200 even.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 6:32 PM   #3

Okay leaning towards the 5000 then...

Any other advice would be very helpful! Thanks heaps!
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackphotographer
Okay leaning towards the 5000 then...

Any other advice would be very helpful! Thanks heaps!
Advice of what nature? You would have to be very specific in your inquiry.

-Chris
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:12 PM   #5
hst

Default Go for the 5000

The 3000 is a basic entry level camera. The shot to shot delays are long. The low light level focus is poor due to no focus assist lamp. Of course the 5000 has an awsome lense. I don't own either so take my comments with a grain of salt. This is just from what I have read of the cameras and the comments I have heard in the past from reading other forums, users of the S5000 are very happy. I have a S7000 and its the best all around camera I have owned so I am sold on Fuji.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:33 PM   #6

I looked at both and I ended up buying the S5000, for a lot of the reasons HST listed. Both of them have good lenses, but the S5000 has a lot of advantages over the S3000 besides the lens. If you can swing it, it's a lot nicer camera.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:01 PM   #7

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

Now I've decided that if I'm to go for either of these it will be the 5000 but I'm getting lots of reports that it's not a good camera for low-light conditions.

I'm a voluntary photographer for a website called InTheMix.com.au which entails a lot of shooting in dark smoky clubs... I'm thinking maybe I need to be steering my research towards other brands now.

Anyone got any ideas of an equivalent camera which will work better in these conditions?

Or does anyone disagree that this camera is no good for these conditions?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 5:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Now I've decided that if I'm to go for either of these it will be the 5000 but I'm getting lots of reports that it's not a good camera for low-light conditions.
You would have to be more specific. The S5000 has the lowest noise of any consumer camera in it's class at ISO400. Other brands have ISO200 that is usuasually near useless, with ISO400 that when available, is untolerable. Maybe you are referring to focus issues?

A better alternative is the S7000. It has a usable, rather low noise ISO800 that works at 3MP. The S20 is also an option, and has ISO800 with low noise for a consumer model. It should be considered that Fuji cameras are usually 1/3 of a stop less sensitive then their ISO numbers imply, according to many tests comparing to indepedant meter readings.

Your best option, though, is to get a DSLR camera with an APS sized sensor. In addition, a DSLR has reliable phase-detection AF system important for low light focusing. It would be very wise to consider a DSLR, IMO, if your primary work is in low ambient light with no flash. I recommend the Nikon D70 and Canon DRebel(though I highly favor the D70 over teh DREBEL), as they are the lowest price DSLRs on the market currently. Factor in the price of a high quality, low aperature lens to get the most out of the camera, though. The kit lenses do not qualify as they are either (1) to dark and/or(2) inadequate focal length to get good shots of the action. If you are able to get close to the subjects you may be able to get away with the kit lenses, though.

Quote:
Or does anyone disagree that this camera is no good for these conditions?
As I said, if your budget allows, a DSLR would be optimal. Fuji S7000 and S20 are the second best options, consideirng low light performance.

-Chris