Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:02 PM   #1

Default Should I buy these lenses? Made by Digital Optics. Wide angl

I was looking for a while for tele and wide angle lenses.
Since budget is a concern, I have to go to Ebay.
Anyone ever bought these Digital Optics lenses?
Here is a link to one of the auctions, any feedback would be great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...810809960&rd=1
apolinaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:17 PM   #2

The number of add-on lenses that actually have good performance seems to be low in comparison the number of actual units available. I suggest you stick with units that are known to have high performance.

For a tele lens, I recommend as the best value, the Olympus TCON-17 which retails for approximately $100 USD. Their is an accompanying wide angle that you can get from the same line; I don't remember teh price of the W.A. though. Raynox makes some lenses at comparable costs, but they do not perform as well as the Olympus lenses. The lines such as called Titanium, Digital Optics, etc. are usually lenses designed initially for camcorders. Camcorders have much lower resolution then modern digital still cameras, therefor the lenses my perfrom superbly on camcorders.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:39 PM   #3

I'm about to find out the answer to that question pretty shortly. I have an older Sony FD91, as well as my S5000 Fuji. I just ordered the Raynox 5249 tube so I can use the filters for my Sony on the Fuji. I also have a Sony 2X telephoto converter, model VCL-R2052, which wasn't a real expensive lens that I'm gonna try on the S5000. It is a heavy lens, and seems built really well, but I am pretty sure it was designed as a camcorder lens.... that being said, it works great on the FD91, but it's not even quite a 1M camera, so we will see. If it doesn't work, I'll still have a nice metal tube that will fit my 52mm filters onto my S5000, so it's all good.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:26 PM   #4

Well, I got my Raynox adaptor tube in today and my first impressions with using the Sony lens on it are that it seems to work better than I thought it would. I'll know more this evening when I can load a couple pictures on my computer at the house, as I'm not equipped here at my work to do that. From what I can tell, though, I didn't lose very much with the inexpensive telephoto lens. It has quite a bit of vignetting when you zoom out, but then I expected that. And, since you don't really use a zoom extender lens unless you need to zoom in on something and still get closer, that shouldn't normally be an issue. I'll post more on it when I have a chance to look at a couple pictures on the comp. at home.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:47 PM   #5

Ok, after viewing a couple pictures on the computer, I did notice some quality loss. There was a good amount of purple fringing, which is to be expected when you've got an optic zoom all the way out to 20X, and it's a little dark outside (it was raining when I took the pictures from under the awning of my store). I did lose a bit of real fine detail to be sure, but considering it's only a $40.00 lens I had on the camera, I'm surprised it was as good as it is. I didn't have my tripod with me, so I am sure I could have done a little better, but I'm not totally unhappy with the results. They definitely aren't razor sharp images, but it was definitely not the best of conditions to take pictures in this afternoon either. I wish I was hooked up with a photo hosting place so I could post the pictures. I'm hoping to either get some webspace of my own or else get up with a hosting site so I can post pretty soon.

My opinion, you can sneak by with the inexpensive lenses, but as WmAx stated, I think you'd be happier with a better lens. I'll probably upgrade myself in the future. I don't forsee needing more than 10X zoom very often, though, so I probably won't upgrade for a while. If you're really picky about your picture quality, Apolinaras, you might want to go for a mid to high-end lens (either the mid grade Opteka "high definition" or the Raynox or the better quality Olympus)and just get the tele and wide angle lenses one at a time instead of getting the lower-priced versions both at once.[/i]
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
My opinion, you can sneak by with the inexpensive lenses, but as WmAx stated, I think you'd be happier with a better lens. I'll probably upgrade myself in the future. I don't forsee needing more than 10X zoom very often, though, so I probably won't upgrade for a while.
If you would like to see just little degradation a premium lens produces, refer to my test of a TCON-14B on a Fuji S602:

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/a...14b/index.html

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote