Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:22 AM   #1

Default A340 - reviews?

Looking to change my camera and see the new Fuji A340 does most of what I need, and at a low price.

Any reviews , opinions or info on these yet? I could only find tech specs.

Thanks,

David
Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:25 PM   #2

has anyone used this camera yet? Any comments?
grimdirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:15 PM   #3

Hi!

I've been looking for a small grab'n'go camera, and the Fuji A330/340 look interesting to me. I've only found one review of the A340:megapixel.net. It was rated to have excellent image quality - & to be a little short on conveniences.I've handled it &the size is just right for me. I haven'tgotten one (yet!).

Regards,

Pam
L80Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 10:05 PM   #4

Bump, anyone. I am thinking about buying this cam as someone stole my baby (2600 zoom).
jusjase44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:12 PM   #5

What do u guy think of the Canon A80. How would the Fuji A340 compare to it
Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:27 AM   #6

I've handled the A340 but not tested it, this camera was on my early shortlist when upgrading the other month. Mainly included as I liked its clamshell design and at the time it was rare in the UK to find a 4MP camera such a good bit under £200.

I thought it neat and compact, there were most of the features that I wanted and I'm sure the image quality would have been fine.

However I need a movie mode with sound...and this camera doesn't have sound! Also can't remember if it had an AF assist lamp...essential to me.

As I say so often about other cameras....if you need all the great manual modes the A80 offers then you wouldn't consider the mostly auto A340. If you don't need those modes though the smaller A340 may well be a better point and shoot to carry about. Its loads cheaper as well.

In the UK discount price for the A80is £197 but the A340 is£44 less at £153!

David
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:43 PM   #7

Well for the moment the manual modes aint important. I kind of like the sound wit the movie mode (it didnt bother me much on the 2600 but wasnt to pleased). As for the price its about 65 USD different (195 vs 259) and i think its wise to spend the extra cash and avoid the upgrade later but i really wanted to stay fuji (guess cuz of my experience wit the 2600)

Cybershot455 So which cam did you buy?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:08 AM   #8

jj44,

If you search on my username you'll find I've posted loads over the past 6wks while I was looking and since buying.

But briefly...

I'd had a Sony P52 3MP for 11mths and really liked it apart from the lack of any sports mode or other way of freezing action shots (kids, dogs, horses). When the P52 had a warranty fault and needed to go away for up to 6wks for repair I decided to take that as a chance to upgrade.

Looked at about 20 3-5MP cameras on paper, on this siteand in shops. In the end I used stores that allow returns to test a few at home. Tried the Sony P93, Canon A75, Sony V1 and Sony P12 (a P10 with extra battery, case and special colour body).

Returned the P93 as I found it a bit hard to hold, the extended lens rattled a lot but mostly because the way of freezing action was to use the manual mode, thisneeded you to be able to read the small icons on the1.5" display while shooting....I couldn't. It was neat with very fast responses and sharp images though.

Returned the A75 because it suffered terrible purple fringing, soft images, even softer edges and blown highlights at maximum aperture. In the UK on a dull day the auto setting would often select this aperture and I was getting too many bad shots. Also it struggled to focus in low light. It was the best digitalcamera to hold while shooting that I've tried though, the manual and priority modes are fantastic at the price and battery life was excellent. As the prices have dropped so much recently I would look at the A80 rather than A75 as it seems they do not suffer these image problems in the same way.

The V1 was a brilliant camera with the most fantastic selection of modes and facilities. The images from it were really good. It was too large for me though and, like the P93, you needed to easily read the LCD to use all the complexfacilities. As before I found this near impossible with those same tiny icons on a small screen. Also by the time an extra battery/external chargerwas added it was a very expensive camera.

The P12 was a bit smaller than I'd expected to pick but its 5MPresults are fantastic with near foolproof auto operation. It has a fast shutter mode available at the twist of a dialso no need to peer at the LCD iconsall the time.

Because of the new P100/W1 range the P12 outfitwas suddenly discounted in the UK below the price of the P93 camera alone. It was too good a bargain to miss. Also I found it easier tokeep with Sony as I had several memory sticks and knew the menu operations so well.

You may find the same reasons draw you to Fuji again.They havea really good range at most price levels.

Hope that helps.

David