Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 13, 2004, 4:06 PM   #1

i'm looking for a camera with great image quality and great zoom capability. i will be using it to take pics of my son's sports activities. s5000 or s7000? is the s7000 that much betterfor the extra money?
swoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 8:17 PM   #2

They are both good cameras and each has their own advantages. I personnally prefer the S7000 for several reasons:

Has a shoe for Flash
Uses both CF/Microdrive and XDPicture Cards
Faster speed
12MP so you can crop quite a bit (6MP Native)
640x480 very good video for a digicam

However the S5000 has:
Awsome 10X zoom
Smaller Camera
Good 6MP (3MP Native) images

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 8:30 PM   #3

My opinion is that it's a matter of what you intend to do with the pictures of your son, and with the camera in general.

If you're just taking snapshots for your family, and have no plans to print anything more than 4x6 or maybe 5x7, then the s5000 might be the better camera for you, just because it has the large zoom.

If you want to do more with it, and can live with less zoom, then I'd say the s7000 is your better option.

Find a placethat will allow you to return the camera without paying a restocking fee, and buy the s5000. Use it for a day or two and if you don't like it, return it. Finding the s7000 at retail is a little more tricky, but if you're not happy with the s5000, you'll want the s7000 anyway, so just buy it.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 7:41 AM   #4

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS. HOWEVER AFTER READING A LOT OF REVIEWS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE NIKON COOLPIX 5700 WILL PRODUCE BETTER IMAGE QUALITY. ANY THOUGHTS?
swoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 9:28 PM   #5

I looked strongly at the 5700 when I bought my S7000. What swayed me to the S7000 was the low light shooting. The 5700 is known to have very poor low light focusing ability and a hard time locking in with low light. The 5700 also worried me when I read a lot of users comments about the poor menue setup and how difficult the different operations were to get to and learn. In mostly ideal conditions however the 5700 does take great and very clear pictures if you can live with the other issues.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 3:00 PM   #6

I too looked at the 5700 before buying thes7000. For me price was the elimination point for the 5700. It's a camera that's a couple years old, and still selling at a price higher than s7000, which is at least a newer model.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my s7000, nad the only complaint I have with it is the 4:3 aspect ratio. Otherwise I'mextremely happy with it.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 9:31 PM   #7

Quote:
IT SOUNDS LIKE THE NIKON COOLPIX 5700 WILL PRODUCE BETTER IMAGE QUALITY
LOL, don't know where you're hearing that :-) all truth is masked by opinions anyway. The CP5700 is MUCH slower (forget action shots), more difficult to use, slower fps / buffer, dearer. Also, IF servicability/cost of - is of ANY interest to you, forget Nikon! Otherwise skip this -
http://www.digsys.com.au/N5700/N5700.html compared to -
http://www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html
It's now been several weeks trying to get a spare part to
fix Nikons famous Flash Fault. Yeah, we could pay US$200
and let them replace the faulty $1 FET. I don't think so :-)
You can get the S7000 in USA for ~US$400 after rebate, which is a pretty good deal.
Jkirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote