Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 14, 2004, 4:30 AM   #1

My neice has a brand new s5000, first couple of days good as, now producing ZoomError when turned on, usually turning it off and back on cures the problem.

I have not seen the camera myself, am only going by her information. Quick search of the net suggests it is a camera fault and camera should be returned to retailer for repair or replacement.

Can anyone enlighten me on this fault and whether it should she needs to return it to the retailer.

Cheers all.

Gordon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 1:19 PM   #2

Mine has done that once, but less than a minute later the low battery indicator came on, and since I changed the batteries I have probably taken 200-250 more shots and no other error messages, so I am hoping it was just low batteries causing it. I am keeping an eye on it, though, and I would advise her to do the same. Better to err on the side of caution.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 3:26 PM   #3

Have spoken to her about the batteries following on from your reply, the batteries are fresh and still appear to have plently of charge in them, fault is still occuring almost every power on and clears itself with power off and back on.
Gordon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 9:17 PM   #4

Wow, sounds like it might be a camera problem then. I think I'd see about getting a replacementor repairunder warranty.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:02 PM   #5

The only time mine has done this is when I have my big fingers touching the lens when it is extending out.
cdtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:21 PM   #6

the Zoom Error happens when something obstructs the lense from extending upon power up. ie, lense cap, or other object
Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:39 AM   #7

Zoom errors can also happen with dirty battery contacts or insufficient battery power, either due to age or 1 cell failing. (Both quite common). The start up current is quite large so any "dip" is enough to generate the error. Battery contacts can be cleaned with QTips and alcohol.
I have also had 2 cases where there was a loose motor ribbon (rare but easy to fix). Unfortunately, the MANY incidents were from fallen guide pins (due to a lens KNOCK), but in these cases the error is seen OFTEN.
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote