Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:57 PM   #1

you never knew what to do with your RAF files? or the fuji raw converter is not enough?! the solution was just too close to your nose! :?
just open the file in finepix viewer! and save it as TIFF or JPEG! the result is 100 times better than the converter ! try it and see!
Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:25 AM   #2

100 times better?

Wow. Will it also slice, dice, mince, mix, whisk, fry, bake, roast and take my garbage out ,too? Will it also mowe my lawn, paint my walls, insulate my windows, rotate my tires, change my oil, reformat my hard drive, vacuum my carpet, un-stop my toilet and anally probe me, too?

Give me the phonenumber, I want to order 5 of them!

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:01 AM   #3

:-)
as it's not allowed to insult, ect any manufacturer! it is a way of telling them to do something good for their raw converting! so i just didn't want to say! the raw converter is wors than the viewer! i hope you got the point! :P
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:12 PM   #4

I can not see how it is aninsult to point out fact or opinion, as long as your perspective is clearly defined.

For example, I can say that the RAW convertor in PHotoshop CS, converting FUji F700 RAW files, does an extremely poor job in renderig a resolute image, compared to the OEM Fuji raw convertor, in tests I have performed.

I can support this with evidence:

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/d...sts/index.html

Additionally, I could go ahead and make statements based on pure opinion such as: the color/contrast curve applied by the Fuji OEM convertor look awful, IMO, compared to the Adobe CS rendered files.

Now, an insult would probably need to actually have some malicious intent. For example, if I said: Fuji is a crappy company who makes nothing but crap.

That statement is vague, unsupported, unqualified and can probbly be interpreted as being malicious. That is an insult.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:42 PM   #5

Of course, you're aware of the fact that if you just open it and save it as a .tiff or .jpg without converting it, you're just saving the thumbnail and not the actual raw image.
drw766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:38 PM   #6

Actually it saves it as a 1280x960 file. Kind of small for any really good printed details.

As for the AdobeCS converter, its not too great. I have tried it with my S7000 images and I was unimpressed. If you don't believe me, you can dowload the software for free and also the raw plug in. The evaluation copy is a full version it just has I believe a 30 day evalution license. You can see for yourself and make your own decision. The software is also way to expensive. The fuji converter actually does a better overall job but the downside is you have no control of the final image settings which makes it somewhat useless.

What is wrong with the 12MP fine images. They look great, allow for a lot of cropping and you can print large images. Those that try to look at the images at 100% and then complain about noise just don't understand what the interpol is doing. Your printer is going to resample the image down to the best size for printing anyway so don't worry about it being a 12MP image and having to manipulate it before you print it.

I've come to the conclusion that although Fuji support is good, their development side just doesn'tlisten to customers ideas from what I have experienced. I have written may times to them and just get a form letter response, however when I have talked to them on the phone, they are very responsive with support issues. I bought the camera understanding just what it is and I am very happy with it.

host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:50 AM   #7

thanks chris!
finally we got the steak to wake upo fuji guys, that when they inovate something they most think of the costumer as well. if they just give us a firmware update to get rid of jpeg overcompressing in thier Digicams, lot of problems will be solved! and it's unlikely that fuji comes up with that kind of service very soon, unfortunately. hope our critics move things in fuji's head!
thanks again
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:11 AM   #8

for those who want a simple RAW converter (S5000 & S7000)this is a good one.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...919/s7raw.html
thanks
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:15 PM   #9

Do you really like the S7RAW. I could never get the images to look quite right. The white balance settings were off and I had issues getting true color on indoor shots. It's not real bad but the 12MP jpgs seem to look better.

The upside is it is free. The owner told me it is still in development so we can expect improvements.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 3:31 AM   #10

when you know that you are in the middle of water and no cost guard to save you! you will hang on a small piece of wood!
at least its far better than what FUJI calls RAw converter! and hope it will improve in the future.
thanks again for your message.