Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:10 PM   #1

Fuji Repair Service

Just got my (well a) camera back from Fuji Repair in Edison NJ. On May 8[suP]th[/suP] my wife and I took a weeks vacation and traveled down to Nags Head NC. I took my Fuji S602, my card reader, and my Dell Laptop. The first photos I loaded to the computer showed a bloch (for lack of a better term) just above center on the right side of the shot. This problem was not there the week before. I checked the lens and found it to be clean so for the rest of the week on the shots that this bloch was most visible I used Paint Shop Pro to correct the problem.

When we returned from our trip I call Fuji to find out my options. The repair center said to send it to them for a look see and they would tell me what the problem was and a cost to fix it. I was told this was a two week turn-a-round for this repair. I tracked my shipment to Fuji and a week after they had the camera I called because they hadn't called me. The rep that answered the phone couldn't locate my camera but when she checked the tracking number she said the camera was there and she would contact me the next day. I gave her my E. Mail address and the next day I received a message that my camera had been located and that she would put a rush on the diagnosis of the problem. The next day I received a message telling me the cameras CCD needs repairing but the part was on back order and would take another two week before it would be available. She offered me a replacement camera as an option. Because of the delay in the diagnosis of my camera she reduce the price of the replacement to $115.50. I had thought my repair would cost more than this amount so I took her up on her offer. My new S602 (remanufactured) arrived today and everything is working beautifully. To tell you the truth when I opened the box and examined the camera I would swear I have a new camera.

Bottom line is my out of warranty S602 did go bad but for me Fuji came through. Had I not called last week I'm not sure where I would be in my wait for a repair but I'm happy.

Good Job Fuji
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 6:45 AM   #2

Hi,

I am very interested in seeing some example pictures of that 'bloch' you describe.

I recently purchased a Fuji S602 and have been getting a similar problem on my pictures.

This is what I get:

(it is very obvious to me but in case you don't notice it is next to the cable)

Lord_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 8:49 AM   #3

Hi,

Your Bloch is very similar to what I was seeing. The picture you see has the deformity on the right just above center and in the power lines. I have had my S602 for a year and 8 months and the week before our trip everything was fine but our first day at the beach this appeared. The Fuji Rep said it was likely dust but didn't offer any more info than that. As I said in my post when they offered a replacement camera that would be delivered quickly I took their offer. My S602 has been a great camera and I use weekly. I hope the replacement camera will not develop this same problem. As I said I felt Fuji treated me right in their service I received.

Good Luck

Old Jun 5, 2004, 8:55 AM   #4

Hi Again,

FYI, Nags Head North Carolina is recovering from aHurricane from last year. This is one of the many damaged homes along the beach. Hope this explains the photo.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:01 AM   #5

Hmmm, very interesting that it appeared when you were at the beach.

I have had my S602 for about5 months now but I was recently in Italy and took my camera with on the beach.

If I look very closely inside the camera lens I can see 4 'dots' which I presume are dust or possibly beach sand.

Thanks for the reply, I will update this post once I resolve this issue.

Old Jun 5, 2004, 2:03 PM   #6

It's a VERY common problem and easily fixable in 99% of cases. Methods include, tapping (for larger dust particles .. as in the first example), canned air, vacuum or "keyhole surgery" etc. Many 100's have successfully got rid of the dust and only 4-5 that I know of who failed OR had to dismantle the lens. Even that isn't too hard to do IF you have any mechanical "aptitude". There are hundreds of posts over at dpreview and some info at www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html (far too much to list here)
I've been meaning to devote a whole service page to the issue as it IS quite a common occurrence. I'll get around to it one day :-)
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 2:16 PM   #7

I am surprised that it is such a common problem.

I don't know that much at all about cameras as this is my first one, but I was always under the impression that the lens housing was airtight?

I also thought about taking it apart myself as I am quite technical and would not have a problem doingso but would it not be better to return it under warrenty instead? Or am I just better off doing it myself?

Thanks for the posts, I will be reading them with more detail a bit later and decide if I will attempt it myself.

Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:17 AM   #8

After reading Mr. [email protected] post I wish I had this information so I could have tried the repair/cleaning myself. If I have this problem in the future I will certainly try a basic lens removal and cleaning before I send my camera to the repair facility.

Thanks [email protected] we appreciate your information. :-)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:27 AM   #9

A Follow up -
The S2800 and S3800 lens designs were beautiful !! Solid, sealed, WELL engineered. No dust is getting in there. BUT for some ungodly reason, Fuji redesigned the S6900 ++ and ended up with a DAMN mess. It LEAKS LIKE A SIEVE :-). I discovered very early on that MUCH of the dust was in there from manufacture, most likely batch problems and the dust is just one of those "probability" things.
NOW .. IN MOST CASES you do NOT have to dismantle ANYTHING !! Blowing canned air in between the "crack" of the front lens is enough. If you keep the lens Horizontal, the dust falls down :-). Next best trick is to remove the lens cover (rear 3 screws), You are then RIGHT at the thin dust cover (see pix). Just gently probe to find where the gaps are and hold the extension air nozzle on it. Slightly more stubborn dust specs can be removed with a vacuum cleaner (again with the cover off in BAD cases). Use your HAND to form a "gasket" between the vacuum nozzle and the lens (that way you can "regulate" the suction). Many many people have had great success. The only time you need to remove the front glass OR the CCD (as per guides) is IF all the above fail or in a few cases, mould has formed on the front glass (due to high humidity). Hope this helps for now.
JKirk
PS: Doing it yourself takes 5-15 mins, sending it in takes 10-30 days !! (REPORTED!!) and it CAN happen again !! VOTE NOW :-)
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:48 AM   #10

Someone mentioned an "out of factory" problem and I would second that this can happen.

Back when the Fuji 2800s were out, I bought one and while outside the next day, looked into the lens and saw a huge piece of lint INSIDE the lens between two elements. I took it back to the store to exchange it and we found a number of units with dust and/or lint in their lenses as well.

I wound up with a good unit, but it didn't leave much of an impression regarding Fuji's quality control, either. A sign of the times I'm afraid though, as companies are cost-cutting and laying off people who would normally have caught this kind of thing in the past.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote