Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 11, 2002, 5:00 AM   #1

Default S602 - Microdrive will not work

Hi.

Has anyone had a similar problem to me?
I have just today bought a S602. Great camera, bought as it seemed to be all I needed and more!
I have a 1GB Microdrive that I have used in other devices, my S602 will not/cannot format this drive. I have tried formatting it using a Full Format on Win XP for FAT file mode. No luck.

Anyone have any ideas, I'd hate to lose the use of 300's worth of Microdrive!

Thanks in advance

Steve
Digimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2002, 9:07 AM   #2
NHL

Make sure to format the microdrive as fat-16 or DOS only (better yet fdisk it and format it from the camera!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:22 AM   #3

I have formatted as FAT drive only, no luck there. I also tried formatting using FORMAT from a boot floppy from a command prompt window. No luck, camera still says it cannot initialise and quotes a card fault.
Thing is the drive does work OK on both my laptop and desktop as a storage drive, it just won't work with a camera!

Cannot find a way to format DOS only from either win XP or Me???

FDisk won't recognise my microdrive as a drive at all so no luck there either.

Thanks for your help anyway, I might sell it and buy a few CF1 cards with the money!
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:59 PM   #4
NHL

The camera only works if formatted to older FAT-16! (ie will not work with fat-32) Fat-32 formatted microdrive will work in laptop and PC, but not in the camera.http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/partSizes-c.html
Old Sep 12, 2002, 2:43 AM   #5

Using the CHKDSK function it reports a FAT drive, not FAT 32. I beleived Windows XP could format this card as I have a choice of formatting for FAT, FAT32 or NTFS. I formatted choosing FAT. Am I getting this wrong too?
BTW, I chose full format, not quick. I am definately about to sell this thing now!
Old Sep 12, 2002, 5:02 AM   #6

I just purchase the 1Gbyte Microdrive and it's fresh in the box. Can it just be inserted into S602z and start using? Or do I need to use a notebook to format it? Can the S602z camera format the microdrive?

Thanks
hstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 5:04 AM   #7
NHL

It should be ready to go! No formatting is necessary...

At least that's what the instruction says, beside on my D7 it even show higher estimated frame counts before than after formatting from the camera! It's better to use the camera to format and not the PC operating system anyway. Let us know how it all works out...

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by NHL]
Old Sep 12, 2002, 5:06 AM   #8

Default Hurrah!

Thought i would post the 'fix' here in case anyone else had the same problem as me.

I have a cameramate, courtesy of Microtech. On the accompanying disk (that is not used for Windows XP!) is a tiny program called CFPREP.EXE

It's a small initialisation program that seems to have created the correct partitioning on my microdrive!

I nearly returned it to IBM as well!

I hope this never happens to anyone else, what a complete nightmare, but at least I woke up!!!

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 12, 2002, 5:15 AM   #9

Default Out of the box?

DEFINATELY!

Use it directly out of the box, do not format, do not pass go, do not collect $200!

The camera will have to format the drive, use the format command as in the instruction manual and it should be readt to go.

If you see a ! CARD FAULT appear in the screen, it needs formatting out of the camera and I used CFPREP.EXE from my Microtech Card Reader.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 12, 2002, 7:25 AM   #10
NHL

I'm glad it's all work out for you... Beside you'll need it when you'll upgrade to an 11Mp camera!

Sounds like you'll get about 65 shots in RAW! Price of progress I guess