Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:24 AM   #1

I have a Fujifilm 3800. If I take it outside it works great. However inside it sucks. Very blurry pics usually. I have a few questions to understand whats happening here:

1. Is part of the problem the slow effective film speed? I think its something like 100.

2. When I use the flash everthing gets better, but then pics dont look natural. I dont understand the "flash brightness" control or how it works.

3. Ive tried using "exposure compensation" to lower the exposure, which would speed up the shutter speed, right? It helps a little, but pics get darker. Ive tried using a larger fstop in the "aparture priority" setting (smaller number=larger apature, right?), but I have a feeling that I cant use both of these functions at the same time. It seems one takes priority over the other, because when Im using a compensation adjustment in exposure compensation, it doesnt seem that the apature priority setting has any effect. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks for any help. I may have to just get a different camera. Even indoors in what I would consider good light (day light streaming in and providing good general lighting), it takes mostly blurred pics. Thanks everyone.
Jetboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 6:25 PM   #2

A fellow Arizonan. I try to give you some advise.

For indoor shots you probably not using a Tripod if you shooting without the flash and that is probably why your shots are blurry. The shutter speed will be so slow, it will be difficult to hand hold the camera. Also set the whitebalance according to your lighting. If you using Incadecent, use the incadecent white balance setting.

That should help quite a bit if that is what is causing your problem. Try to get as much light as possible in the room before you take the pictures and that will also help.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:10 AM   #3

Jetboy55 wrote:
Quote:
I have a Fujifilm 3800. If I take it outside it works great. However inside it sucks. Very blurry pics usually. <snip>
Even indoors in what I would consider good light (day light streaming in and providing good general lighting), it takes mostly blurred pics. Thanks everyone.
I have the same camera and the same problem. I have an additional problem when I am indoors that I cannot see the preview very well... it doesn't read indoor light well. I agree that this happens when indoors is nearly as bright as outdoors and it's frustrating. I have found no solution apart from sometimes I just cannot take indoor pics that are any good.
Golf Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:19 AM   #4

In low light conditions the camera will open the aperture all the way and use the best shutter speed it can and still expose the image in program or auto. If you can increase the ISO it can help some albeit with an increase in noise. There is no magic setting that will give you the shutter speed you need and still expose the image.

Cameras with f2.8 at wide and f4 at telephoto don't do well handheld indoors except maybe for stage lighting. You are pretty much stuck with the flash. What it boils down to is that the shutter speed it can generate with the lens full open is not fast enough to cancel out camera shake.

It isn't a problem with just your camera. You have to go to a DSLR with a good lens or stabilization to get indoor shots handheld without flash. And stabilization won't help with subject motion.

Quote:
I have the same camera and the same problem. I have an additional problem when I am indoors that I cannot see the preview very well... it doesn't read indoor light well. I agree that this happens when indoors is nearly as bright as outdoors and it's frustrating. I have found no solution apart from sometimes I just cannot take indoor pics that are any good.
If you were to borrow a light meter and read it indoors and outdoors where you think the light is almost as bright you will find a BIG difference – like maybe 20X in bright overcast to 100X in direct sunlight if you convert the lux scale to light energy. You eyes adapt but the camera sensor can't. Your camera has a light meter if you want to pay attention to what it is telling you. If it wants to shoot at 1/4 second indoors and 1/400 on a bright day at the same zoom and settings then you have 100 times the light outdoors regardless that your eyes are adapting and making it look almost the same. You usually need a flash or tripod indoors.

The dim EVF is a problem with many lower-end EVF cameras. The better cameras brighten so you can see almost in the dark, but cameras designed on a tight budget don't. My Minolta D7i EVF brightens but my FZ10 doesn't. It is a nuisance but there isn't much you can do. But again the camera doesn't have a sensor to tell it when it is indoors so it can act up – there just isn't enough light.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick and educated responses. I see what your saying about the lighting inside and how our eyes adjust and make it seem that the lighting is almost as good as outdoors. I will try the tripod suggestion, but some of the blur is subject motion, so Im stuck with that I guess. I will just have to start using the flash indoors, even though the camera takes beautifullphotos with very realistic color tones and cast without it, but I cant take the blur. Thanks again.
Jetboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote