Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:57 PM   #1

Hi, Did anybody try this new FUJIFILM S20 PRO ?
bissoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:52 PM   #2

Haven't tried it butI can't believe its worth what they are asking. Basically a S7000 with the 700 chip. Close to 1,000 for a 3MP camera sounds like a lot of money. Especially when you consider the quality of the images isn't that good.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:01 AM   #3

Very pricey:O IMO :arrow: 3.1 MP + Plastic Body:sad: etc... Get S5000:idea: instead . There is no image quality difference according to reviews ...
cenkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4

The price of the S20 has dropped dramatically this past two months (nearly 40% cheaper here).

Given the much better pricing I am looking for opinions on the camera from those who own one. I believe it comes with a much better software package than the S7000 and that is has very good image quality in RAW mode (where the added dynamic range really shows up). It also has a healthy continuous mode of 10 frames at nearly 4fps and a firewire connection for studio work.

If you haven't used one, don't knock it, if you have I want your opinion.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:26 PM   #5

I am still hoping for input on the S20Pro so I am bouncing this post up to the top just once in hopes that someone who has one will notice. I was hoping to get an S20 to supplement my S7000 for the next couple of years, I plan on getting a good amateur camera (like the S9000 is now, or a Pentax dSLR) when I retire in 3 years but I want a second decent camera for the present.

I have looked at full sized 6MP images from the S20 and they don't look that bad, better than the very compressed 6MP images from my S7000. If that is the case I want one, it is currently selling for about half of its original price. With the firewire connection and computer control option this would make a great studio camera, while the healthy 10 shot buffer depth and near 5fps shooting rate makes it a good action camera (at least for my budget).

Ira

Sorry for the two posts but I don't want to start a new thread for this topic, but I do want it to be noticed.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:58 PM   #6

Ira,

You are on the way to get a new camera the S20 pro, maybe you have a good reason for it but me, I stay put and monitor the S9000 from now until after Christmas/New Year, I believe it will go down a bit. If I'm not wrong the S20 is selling around $550 right now not a big gap as the S9000 price will gradually go down later and meet half way the S20 price range.

You move up to S9000 or hit all the way to the Pentax DSLR not going side way with the S20. I am a Pentax and Minolta fan, I have both lens system but I can't use my Minolta manuel lenses in their new DSLR, so Pentax is on my list for far future after I get the Fuji S9000 if I have a chance, I'm monitoring the S9000 price.

You have an extensive Pentax lenses, imagine if they are the new autofocus the price is huge you can go broke. Pentax lenses are tact sharp you've used them you know them. The Pentax DSLR viewfinder is brighter than any other DSLR in the same category, a big advantage plus AA batteries powered. I don't get the Pentax right now because the ISO start at 200, it does not fit my shooting style, I need ISO 100 as prime sensitive speed in any camera, however I believe this does not affect you at all becauseyou have experienceusing the Fuji S7000.

The Fuji S9000 could be my second body to my later DSLR or it could be my primary camera to my DSLR too, I know quite well the two faces of the Fuji S9000, remember my submarine fairy tale, it's all in there.

So, sit back and monitor the market, keep monitor and monitor...

Captain, wish you control and command thenew fast attacksub S9000, oops nomore subs.:-)

CS.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:45 PM   #7

Coldshot

You are right, put previous posts down to temporary insanity.

Ira